Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got the following problem and I really really hope someone can help me out here.

About two weeke ago my Mcafee Security Center updater got stuck. I was not able to shut down my system as long as the updater was searching for updates. Yesterday I posted my problem on the Mcafee help forum and I got the following instructions: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=101759

I followed instructions, restarted, Security Center started updating, but from that moment on half my computers' functions fail. For instance when I want to open xp's searchfield it only opens an empty window, the dog is wagging its tail, but that's it. This happens with pretty much all xp tools. And for this reason I am not able to restore the system as it was before yesterday. The restore system function too opens an empty window. Half or most of the websites I visit do not function because apparently my computer does not support the code? For example this site does function properly, but hotmail opens an empty window, other sites only open partially.

I did run serveral virus checks, but nothing turned up. Restarting over and over again does not do the trick.

So... what happend when I removed the above .exe and finaly could restart my computer?

Please can anyone help me out? I'm pretty lost at the moment....

·
Registered
53 Posts
mc

im sorry but i dont know the answer to your problem. I did go look at what the site said to do. If thats all you did, nothing should have been affected. In affect all you did was to close a process. I do it all the time. Hopefully someone on here will be able to help you. Does mcafee not have a real tech support site that you can email questions?? not just a forum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for replying... To answer your question, yes McAfee does have technical support, but due to my problems I'm not able to contact them.... I'm not able to enter the site or enter my personal account.

The only thing I can think of, is that because with removing the process I could finally restart my system again, something (??) that happend over the past two weeks took effect and messed up the system. (do you still follow? ;)) But..what? I have no clue.

If I could only go back and restore the system... but I can't..

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would go back at least 2 weeks or more because thats when it started acting up. Unless of course it will screw up some things you have done, that you just cant afford to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, this sound good. Thanks! I'll go sort out which documents are new within the past two/three weeks or so and put them on my ipod to be sure.

I'll get back to you to let you know if this has worked out allright.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi! Really sorry it took me so long to respond...took me a while before I had time to sort out whether or not I had any important files I needed to save....

I inniciated the instructions you gave me. The second step says "log on with administrator account" but I have no clue where?

When I press F8 I get an overview with options like "Windows safe mode" and several other options which I can select with the arrow keys and enter, but there is no option for login? Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The administrator account, is the user who has all the permissions on the computer. If you have different users, it is still possible for all of them to have administrator privaleges. If its your computer, then you are the administrator. Boot up, click the f8key, in the choices click on safe mode. When the windows boots up, it will be in safe mood. You will notice a little difference on the screen. Log on if you have to with your user name and password if you have one. That is all that means, without going into detail you dont really care about. As long as its your computer, then you are the administrator. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.