Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help. My friend's computer has recently become very, very slow in starting up and when it loads it shows all icons except for My Computer and My Documents, and the Start Menu including taskbar and time. Is there any way to restore these? Ctrl Alt Del kinda kills it.

It's rather full (2.2gb left from 74.4) but he's now deleting some files. Would you like a HijackThis report to ensure it's not a virus? Did a scan on McAfee and it's clean, checked CMOS/BIOS settings and it's not hot or overclocked. Any help'd be appreciated, if you need to know anything else about the computer ask away, it'd be great if you could help. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this problem before, and it was a virus. In fact, it was a trojan.
Every time I would reboot or start my computer it wouldn't show the desktop at all. So I would have to open task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL),
close explorer.exe ,and run explorer.exe, which usually does the trick.

There's always system recover, that is, if you have the disk.
And if you're worried about your data I would suggest buying a storage device or blank CD's or Dvd-R's and saving them there. But only save valuable data, like irreplaceable things such as photos, and so on. Music can be downloaded later, and programs too. Take as many as screenshots too. But that's what I'd do.:4-dontkno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update - managed to fix the start button by dragging the little line at the bottom up, and my computer etc have miraculously appeared - can't uninstall anything through add or remove programs, the windows xp style for the buttons and layout doesn't exist, only classic, and internet doesn't seem to exist...it's got better, it's just missing some key bits - no sound card, etc. Tried to get Hijack This onto his comp but it wouldn't recognise the USB drive! Grr.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.