Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem when trying to log on to my PC. The PC has five users - all with administrator accounts - and every time one of them tries to log in, it won't.

After entering the password the usual Windows logon sound plays, the user tile goes to the centre and says 'logging in' (or whatever it says), but then that's as far is it goes. The screen either stays as that or occasionally the user's just wallpaper loads. I am able to open Task Manager but am unsure what to run to get the desktop to load. I tried running explorer.exe but this just opened the My Documents of that user.

I have also tried booting in safe mode but this just replaces the logging in/wallpaper stage with a black screen with safe mode in the four corners.

I have no idea what has happened, it worked fine last night. I performed a few virus checks by running the programs through Task Manager but nothing was found.

[If it may help solve the issue or is linked, the Internet connection has been acting strange for the past two days. It says there is a connection but web pages would not load and MSN would not sign in. This applied to the wireless laptop on the same network but this is since working fine.

Also, yesterday I had some issues with Norton Internet Security that could not be solved using the troubleshooting so it suggested that I uninstall and reinstall. I have uninstalled it but haven't got round to reinstall it. I have no idea whether this could affect the situation regarding loading XP but thought I'd include it anyway. :rolleyes: ]

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a corruption. I would go ahead and do a repair installation of windows. If you havent done one before here there are some instructions that would be quite helpful.

** just in case : if you can make a clone of your hd pls do as repair installation might not go all the way through. Back your data up. I would suggest to connect this HD as slave to a different computer ( make sure it has an up to date antivirus software ) and transfer your data. I know i asked a lot but this would be what i would do.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hmmm........restart your computer and keep pressing F8 to get to the safe mode menu again. there choose "last good configurations" and see if that helps fixes the problem. another thing you can do is to perform a "chkdsk /r" with your windows xp cd.

put the windows xp cd in the cdrom and restart your computer. then press "delete" or "F1" to go into the bios. in the bios change the first boot device to "cdrom". depending on the bios the boot device config is located on "advance bios features" or "boot" or something similar.

then save settings the exit the bios. the computer should boot to the windows xp cd and when the computer shows up the main console, choose repair. then the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you dont have one, simply hit enter to skip the process.

then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r. good luck and hope this works out for you.

were you the last person using the computer last night?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved

Thank you both for your replies.

I have managed to resolve this issue by running a system restore. I have no idea what caused it but it seems to be working fine now so unless it happens again I guess it doesn't matter. -razz:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
also, if it occurs again, lose the wallpaper and or themes, especially ones that are downloaded.
norton ... :sayno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.