Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new digital camera. I brought it home, connected it to my computer by USB, and followed the instructions to upload the pictures to my PC. I had some difficulty realizing that my computer actually recognized it as a mass storage device, but eventually it worked. I was very happy.

Less than a week later I had some more pictures I wanted to upload. I connected the camera to the computer and nothing happened. The camera did not respond (it essentually turns off while connected to my computer), the E:\ drive did not show on My Computer, and when I opened up the software I use to upload the pictures, no mass storage device was detected as being attached to my PC.

I didn't install any drivers for the camera, so there really isn't anything to re-install. It's like the computer is completely unable to realize anything is connected to it. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling my USB root hubs, editing registry keys (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314634), uninstalling the uploading software (hey, it was worth a shot), restarting my computer a million times, plugging the camera into different ports (I read that plugging something in to the ports on the back of my PC that are connected to the motherboard directly would do the trick--this just caused a power surge and froze my PC), and performed an exorcism.

My Device Manager doesn't show anything at all as being connected to my computer. The E:\ drive doesn't show up. Nothing.

I have a Wacom tablet that I plug in to my USB, and it's working just fine. After I uninstalled the USB root hubs, I plugged it in and XP automatically detected it and installed it again. But when I plugged in the camera, it's like it isn't even there.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The fact that your PC froze sounds like a bad cable. The only other logical solution is a bad camera port. Take it to a Drug store self service photo booth & see if it works there. Many give the option of inserting the memory card or the USB cable.

There is probably nothing wrong with your PC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, MhzManiac. I think your diagnosis is probably spot-on--I was unable to find a new cable for my camera, but I did buy a sandisk drive at a local store and haven't had any problems with my PC locating the drive when I plug it in. So, problem solved. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.