Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Earlier today I installed Outpost Free Internet Security, it crashed my network connection so I uninstalled it, then had to perform system restore. Then I opened MS Outlook and PC turned itself off immediately and restarted. Message came up that Windows had recovered from a serious error.
Came on tonight no programs would open, i have put Xp disk in to try and fix and it seems okay(ish).
Other anomaly is that i keep getting message " this computer has undergone significant hardware changes since Xp installed and XP needs reactivation within 3 days. I have had to do this on average once a month including today.
I rang Microsoft to activate over the phone and spoke to a real, very helpful person who also found it strange that it keeps asking to reactivate.

Anyway I have attached the logs from event log, dont know where else to look for errors. Please if you can help i would appreciate it as I am pulling my hair out.

Di:banghead:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
i have put Xp disk in to try and fix and it seems okay(ish)
What is Okay(ish) really mean? does the computer work properly, and do all of your programs work? You do not have to include all of the logs. Just instances with a red X the yellow warnings don't mean that much, and the logs are too long to read through.
You can do some maintenance. Go to Start/Run and type chkdksk C: /R and press enter. Then press a Y for Yes and then restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup to fix any file errors. You can also go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing files from the CD. If you don't have a current Anti-Virus Software, download the free Microsoft Security Essentials (do not have more then one AV software program on your computer at a time) and do a full scan. Also go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc and press enter, highlight the C: drive and press Defrag Now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Computer crashed and burned, just got back from shop, apparently XP was corrupt, they have fixed for now. Backed up all my precious files to discs. Operating system is on F, music on C, advised it should be other way round. F is NTFS, C is FAT32, advised to convert but not simple. Also advised if problems persist to do a clean install, not easy though by all accounts?

Di

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Since you have "Backed up all my precious files to discs" why don't you just erase both drives using DBAN and start fresh (with SP3 and ALL the latest updates - why you don't have those is a mystery).

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management take a screen shot and attach it in your next post.
Did the shop setup your computer this way? If they did, they screwed it up good.
C: should be NTFS and should have the Operating System on it, and Music should be Drive F: To put it correctly you are going to have to reinstall Windows XP. If you have a Windows XP install CD, unplug what is the Music drive from the computer. Boot off of the XP CD and first try a Repair Install if that isn't an option then Reinstall Windows. Once Windows is installed and on the C: drive then turn off the computer and plug in the Music drive. Restart the computer It should come up as Drive F: formatted FAT32. This is fine for a music drive, if you want to, you can convert the music drive to NTFS

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Is it straight forward to reinstall XP? Don't have SP3 CD so would it come down as an update? Is it easy to convert FAT32 to NTFS? Unplug the music drive? It's plugged into an IDE cable (yes go on laugh) Do I just unplug from back of drive?

Di

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was set up like it when I had it built, shop who have fixed it have just fixed what was corrupted as didn't want to wipe my music, its just so slow. Disk Management screenshot attached. Can you also recommend a good free firewall please.

Di

Attachments

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
Repair Install if that isn't an option then Reinstall Windows.
Yes, you can unplug the power plug to the IDE Music drive and the computer will not recognize it. (not unplugging the drive in the first place is how you got to where you are now) As for reinstalling XP, First try the Repair Install (explained in the link in the quote) For reinstalling follow the first steps as explained in the Repair Install link in the quote, If you do not get the Repair Install option then choose to Reinstall Windows over the previous installation. This will wipe any personal files on the C: drive so backup first. Doing a Repair Install or a Windows Reinstall will solve all of your previous problems as well. Whatever version of SP you have on your install disc, will be the version that Windows has. You can download SP3 either from Windows Update or as a stand alone download (just Google it) Once Windows is working good and is on the C: drive shutdown the computer, plug in the IDE Music drive and restart. The Music drive will automatically revert back to being drive F:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do I convert FAT32 to NTFS? If F is NTFS now with XP on how do I make that C? Do I convert current C(music drive) to NTFS after reinstalling XP and plugging back in? So I unplug current C(music drive), reinstall XP on current F which should become C? Yes or no? Then plug C back in, which should automatically become F?Yes? Then do I convert to NTFS or leave as FAT32? Does it matter?

Di

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
To put it correctly you are going to have to reinstall Windows XP. If you have a Windows XP install CD, unplug what is the Music drive from the computer. Boot off of the XP CD and first try a Repair Install if that isn't an option then Reinstall Windows. Once Windows is installed and on the C: drive then turn off the computer and plug in the Music drive. Restart the computer It should come up as Drive F: formatted FAT32. This is fine for a music drive, if you want to, you can convert the music drive to NTFS
Since XP was installed as an F: drive, it will always be an F: drive until you either do a Repair Install or a Clean Install. To keep from doing that mistake again, you would unplug the Music drive when installing XP. After XP is installed it will become the C: drive, then plug in the Music Drive. It will automatically take the next drive letter available. As suggested in the Quote.
You can leave the music drive FAT32 if you want, If you are going to download or store any files that are larger then 4GB (ex) a DVD movie, then you will have to convert the FAT32 file system to NTFS as suggested in the Quote.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

Can you give me the command prompt for convert fat32 to ntfs please. Unsure which drive is music drive when unplugging?

Di

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
Turn off computer and Unplug one drive. Start the computer. If it doesn't boot, then that is the OS drive. Shut down computer plug in that drive, unplug other. Start computer. If it boots your good to go. Now boot off of the XP CD, Delete the partition. Create a new partition, Format the partition NTFS. Install Windows. Go to the computer manufactures support download drivers and install any drivers required in the Device Manager.
When you get that installed, shut down the computer and plug in the Music Drive.
To convert the Music Drive to NTFS (you don't have to unless you want to copy a file that is larger then 4GB)
Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the command prompt type
convert e: /fs:ntfs (change E: to your drive letter or your Music Drive)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.