Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Company bought new computers a few months ago with XP home on them. We recently had need to upgrade them to XP Pro. My question is, Since they're not being used can we still use the XP home license on another machine even though it was already registered with Microsoft?:confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
just saw the license question subject, thought i might ask...

there is a corporate license for xp pro. all xp pro cd's can use this serial # since it is like "the" serial number.

since it is "the" serial, would you be able to activate it without problems? i want to try it out (i have my dad's xp pro cd w\ the license in lafayette), but i want to be sure it can be activated. he is in florida, so i have no way to get the serial # since he can't use xp pro on his network (the computer came with pro, but his network couldn't handle xp pro, so he had to like, format:upset: the computer, and put win2k. i'm not sure, but since he doesn't use that licensed version of xppro, would i be able to use the license for that computer on a different computer (since the license is not in use anymore, but would be)

correct me if i'm wrong, can't lose all i have to microsoft over something so simple as a new operating system:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We bought the full version but used it to upgrade the home version. Does that make a difference?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
According to Microsoft, OEM versions that ship with a system are tied to that system. OTOH, I wouldn't feel bad at all about using the license from a system if I bought a full copy, since Microsoft has gotten their money. I doubt anyone will bust down your door in this case. :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
slemaire195 said:
there is a corporate license for xp pro. all xp pro cd's can use this serial # since it is like "the" serial number.
Corporate or (volume license) XP versions require no activation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.