Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i got a huge problem... i figure i'd post my question here since there seems to be more ppl here then at cable/dsl boards...
anyway, im using cable modem and windows xp and as of yesterday for some reason windows screwed up and is setting it's own ip! i called optimum online and they told me that they should be setting the ip for me to use and not windows. so i reinstalled windows but that didn't help...
does anyone know how to fix this? it's really confusing... i mean when i go to the connection icon on the task bar i can see that there's info being sent and rcv'd but i can't connect to anything... and it's not ie b/c i tried aim, aol, telnet, and even ran ip config and nothing... basically i have an ip set by win and not by opt. online...
thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum i and V..........................:D

Have you powercycled your modem?

If under IPCONFIG it has the wrong IP address

Type in: ipconfig /releaseall

Then: ipconfig /renewall

Now type: ipconfig /all

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What IP address are you getting? 169.X.X.X ? If so, you are correct - Windows is setting the IP. However, this indicates you are having some kind of communication problem between your machine and your ISP's DHCP server.

BTW, I believe the command Speedo mentions, ipconfig /renewall should simply be ipconfig /renew. Try both if the first one doesn't work.

S

·
0 Posts
I got those instructions from ATTBI directly when I had the same problem he has, It worked OK for me, But who knows..............:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried to power the modem on and off...
i'll try the ip commands when i get home...
and the ip that windows is getting begins w/ 172...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
172.x.x.x !?!? Make sure you have you IP Configuration set to automatically receive address (I forget exact wording) instead of manually setting the IP address.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'd get the cable companies setup instructions and run through them for the TCP/IP settings. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a defective NIC, cable, or modem. I'm somewhat stunned that the cable companies support doesn't have a "cookbook" walk-thru that they do to get you back on-line!

S

·
0 Posts
I'm suprized they just left him hanging there, Attbi will stay on the phone and walk you thru it.............:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.