35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought laptop

Make: HP Pavilion DV6700
Processor: Intel Centrino Duo 2.0Ghz
Ram: 3gig
HDD: 250GB
Graphics: Nividia 8600

The laptop came with 2 partitions, i proceeded to create a new partition for my XP installation using the Vista Partition editor.

Vista was still working after reboot, i proceeded then to pop in the XP install disk and reboot i was greeted with the following message:

XP installation can no find any harddisks please ensure hard disks are pwoeredon and connected for instaltion to continue.

Upon rebooting to check for info Vista no longer loaded, a black screen tells me some sort of boot file is missing and to press ctrl + alt + del to restart.

I have since installed Linux Mint (Elysa) and removed the vista partitions using its partition editor but once again trying to install XP i am faced with the same message about no hard disk

I have tried to install using a portable hard drive which is picked up by the XP install disk but the other hard drive is not even though it is fully functioning and has allowed Linux install.

Could Vista have locked out the disk?

What can i do to fix this and get XP installed correctly?

Thanks for your time.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Vista includes drivers for SATA . . XP does not. You can either load the SATA drivers on a floppy, or set the BIOS to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. ( exact Verbage will vary by manufacturer )

Before you wipe the Vista installation, be double dog sure you can find XP drivers for that model

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.