Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished putting together a new computer yesterday, and I’m having trouble getting it up and running.

Motherboard – ASUS MN2-SLI Deluxe
Processor – AMD 64 X2 4600+
Hard Drive – Seagate 160gb SATA
Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 7950
RAM – 2 Corsair 1024 sticks

Whenever I put the windows CD in, it will start spinning and processing it, then stop. Sometimes it gets to the install screen, but it always stops when setup is loading files, if not before. The little light goes off, the drive stops whirling and it just sits there, not loading Windows onto my system.

It does the same thing with the disk that came with my hard drive in, only getting part of the way before halting. When I disable the SATA Controller in BIOS, however, the Hard Drive disk is able to load all the way and run, for all the good it does me. Because of this, I suspect that it is some issue to do with my Hard Drive, though if there is a better forum for me to post this on, let me know.

I’ve tried swapping out the DVD drive for an older one, as well as swapping the Seagate HD for one my brother had, but the problem stayed exactly the same. Does anyone have any ideas how to get the system to continue reading the disks so I can get it up and running?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Just a stab in the dark here but do you have an IDE connector ( blue socket ) and a red IDE connector on your motherboard. If so you should have your dvd plugged into the blue , not the red.
This is all i can think of sorry

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hello:

without your sata controller drivers the hard drive cant be accessed ?

you have two options:

get your sata controllers drivers onto a floppy disk; then at the beginning of the entering the Win XP set-up you will see a screen that says "Press F6 to load third party SCSI Raid drivers" thats the prompt when you press the F6 and let it find your drivers on the floppy

or you can do this: (easier actually)

enter the bios; change your sata settings in the bios to IDE MODE; it will then treat your sata drive like its a IDE drive; it will load the OS and then once you are in windows you can load your motherboard chipset drivers, found on the motherboard CD; once that is done you can re-boot and change your mode to SATA mode and it will then run in SATA mode.

post back with any questions; verify that your CD-rom or DVD rom drive is NOT in the blue IDE connector

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.