Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP installation hell.

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rich M 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to install windows XP on a new custom built computer. I boot off the XP CD, format NTFS, install the initial Windows setup files, and then it restarts. Normally, it should go into the main XP install after the reboot, but on this system, it reboots off the CD again! It will go back into the Blue Screen XP setup. I tried taking out the XP CD after the reboot, but then it just asks for a setup CD.

I cannot get into the second phase of the WinXP installation. Please help.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Try changing boot order, when it reboots go into bios, change order to
hdd/cd see what happens. I know what is happening, when it posts after
initial install you should see a screen giving you the option to continue
install, theres another option but cant remember what it was. Thing is
sometimes it blows by so fast you cant see it, or you have bios set up
not to view post info., but what ever try changing boot order, worth a
shot.

#3 ·
It was on floppy--->hard drive--->CDROM by default. I even tried floppy--->CDROM--->hard drive. No difference. The boot order doesnt seem to change anything.

On other systems I've done it normally says "Press any key to boot from CD", this one just boots regardless... sigh.

#5 ·
This may sound odd, take one of your ram sticks out, check your motherboard and take the ram out on dimm socket 2, usually the right hand-sided one. If you are only running one stick of ram then LEAVE IT IN! But try that. That should give windows a chance to install drivers it may need to read dual channel ram.

#6 ·
manic said:
Is your hdd a sata drive? 3rd party software syndrome? press f6 to load.
Been reading alot about that lately. Ive never had that issue assembling
machines with sata drives.,but alot of folks have.
You wouldn't be able to do the first part of the install without the drivers, so I doubt if that is the issue.

Check the boot order in the BIOS again. You might not have the correct HDD set. If you have an IDE it will probably be 'HDD-0', but if you have SATA it could be 'RAID' or 'SATA' that needs to be selected.

#9 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm running a ABIT NF8-V mobo, AMD64 3000, 512MB 3200 RAM (I had another 256MB stick of 2100 in, but took it out to troubleshoot), 40GB IDE hard drive.

There was an OS on this drive before, but it's been formatted many times since.

#10 ·
Download this and wipe the drive.

If your able to wipe the drive then it must be a hardware issue or a setting in the bios.

Try setting the bios setting to safe or default then check if the virus checker in the bios is disabled, If it is enabled disable it because it may see XP as a virus..I would check this first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.