Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:upset:Hi i recently got a Toshiba Satelite laptop from my friend, it has Windows Xp Proffesional on it, but it doesnt work for some reason, everytime I try to boot it, it trys to install Xp even if if their is no disc in to install from. So I thought that I mite aswell install XP on it.. again cause the old one mite be corrupted or something but when I do that I get 'Fatal Error' An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Click ok to view the setup log file.

In the log file the errors i get include: setup was unable to start service tabsrv because of the following error: OpenService(tabsrv) returned error 1060 (424). and stuff like that any ideas?

Thx Elliot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks its great to be here :p, um no i didnt format the hard drive for 2 reasons 1. Because i cant get into Windows to do it, and 2 because it already had XP on it so i didnt think i'd have to. Any other ideas?:4-dontkno

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
um ok, but it doesnt even give me the option of that it just automatically starts the installation then bombards me with errors.:4-dontkno

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sorted some of it out, formatted the hardrive into NTFS and the setup files of XP were copied over: now when it tries to install it only gets a couple of errors, I get this now:

ok, ive reformatted the hard drive into NTFS format, and the install files are copied to it, now i only get the one error when it tries to install: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\|386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4

XXX

Error: Installation Failed: D:\|386\asms. Error Message: Incorrect function.

XXX

Fatal Error:
One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect Function.

XXX

I have moved forward alot with your help, please lets finish. this :tongue:

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Check the CD for scratches and wipe off all "smudges".
Then try installing again - this time delete the OS partition, then reformat it (not quick format).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all the setup files are copied onto the new partion i made

It instantly starts the XP installation( his one: http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winxp_rc1_rev_01.gif ) and it doesnt seem to move past 'remaining time: 39 minutes'; and ive waited for like an hour. What do you think, thanks again, Elliot

By The Way: When the computer starts it gives me 2 options to boot with, both Windows Xp proffesional, the top one enters the 'never ending' installation and the bottom one goes to the start of the installation but doesnt show any text or graphics, just a blue screen (like the background of the XP installation)

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
If you have any USB devices - disconnect them. That may be the reason installation stops.

When the installation restarts and you get the 2 options - don't do anything, setup will continue automatically

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx so much for your help, I cleaned off the disc and tried it and after about 3 or 4 times it started to install :) Everythings fine. You will see my posts come up from time to time but for now. Thanks :wave:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep seems to work perfectly (except for the 'function' buttons) now all I gotta do is work on the Dead Hinges, the worn out touch pad and loose connection lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.