Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whether this is an XP or an IE thing...

I inhereted this laptop at my company. I have full admin rights to it, btw.

This is kind of tough to explain. When I go to download certain types of programs - not files with a direct link to the file, but something that's supposed to run an installer on my machine - I don't get a prompt to download the software and the files don't start to download.

For example, go to http://download.sidestep.com/get/k00721/tos_fullpage.html?tk=STA000000&param=onlyGet

If you click I Agree, it should start to download a file. Except on my machine, it won't. I've had this same problem at other sites and it's becoming a major issue - I can't DL the webconferencing software we use, either.

I've gone into IE tools/Security/Custom Level and made sure that everything in ActiveX will download (or at least prompt me), but I don't get the pop-up box to download these types of programs. I've dropped my security levels to the bare minimums, but that didn't help either.

For what it's worth, the Sidestep site listed above gives me this error message:
-------------------
This is taking too long.
A few possible reasons why your download is failing:
You are using pop-up ad prevention software that prevents our registration windows from opening.

You are blocking JavaScript and/or ActiveX with your browser configuration, firewall, or anti-virus software.

You are in an office and your company has blocked your computer from downloading programs that make a change to your system's registry.
----------------------

I don't have a pop-up blocker. I'm using Avast and Spybot, but have turned both off with no result. I don't know of any other protection software on my machine. I am behind a firewall, but the other guy DL'd it with no problems.

Help?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Try going to:

Tools > Internet Options > Security "Default Level" and tell me what it is set at (eg high, medium, medium-low, low). It should be set at "medium" or "medium-low" (recommended is medium for security reasons), but if you had it set at "high" it will block the thing from installing.

If you wanted to leave it at "high" but just enable this you could click "custom level" and make it prompt for all the items related to ActiveX, and allow java applets (both options in the error message it gives you).

If none of these work, it is possible the administrator somehow set it up to not allow you to change registry files, but if you are the admin (make sure you are logged in to have administrator rights) you should be able to

edit: sorry for the delayed response, I have been out of work (no internet at home) and I am one of the few that patrol this section

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elf, thanks for the response.

I've played around with the security settings, even dropping them to low - no dice. And I know I have admin rights - I add/remove programs from my PC fairly often and can edit the reg (even by hand if I want to).

It doesn't seem to be a "rights" issue. If I thought it'd work, I'd DL Firefox but most of the programs I'm having issues with are the type that will only work on IE.

·
Registered
154 Posts
probably have already fixed this, but

Blackadar I saw this after having gone to all the downloads you had for stopping spyware. You probably have fixed your prob by now, but if not check this site.

http://www.snapfiles.com/xpsp2_downloadchanges.html

You didn`t mention, or I didn`t note if was SP1, or SP2. This fix is supposedly just for SP2, but you know how it goes. Anyhow if still having a problem wouldn`t hurt to look at this. There was a link to it by virtually every software I downloaded, so it must be a major prob for SP2 users attempting a download. Probably yours is SP1, as I don`t think SP2 had cleared yet when you posted.

While I have ya on, can you or actually anyone take a look at this, my first HJT log, much of it makes sense in that it is about programs on my system, but a few lines I can`t reconcile to belonging, at least by name to anything I have.

noteworthy is:
1) [ffqvss] grwfsrs.exe as it`s there 3 different times. This site http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32sdbotwz.html says this worm is same as grwfsrs.exe, but not in the actual text, says it is in the Google description of the site, was #1 Google hit for grwfsrs.exe. 3 different Virus checkers, and all of them darned spyware toys didn`t find it. Becoming evident for the need of a lot of differnt toys to look for this crap. On the plus side, the toys seem to be playing well together. Meanwhile, DIE!!!!, grwfsrs.exe, you commie dog. LMAO, I am such a nerd, but it was sorta gratifying.

2) 2 as "no name" though 1 is attributed to SpyBot, unsure if is for Spybot the program, or is a spybot, wish the guy woulda named it something else. On Google appears to be for the program Spybot.

3) search.usefulware.com wondering if is useful to me, or somebody watchin, I don`t have any program, nor gone to a site called useful/usefulware. Google seems to think is a software program for phone dialers. Now I don`t know if is a phone dialer sending out my info, or part of my modem software

Here`s the log, let me know please if ya see something jumping off of it, forget grwfsrs.exe, it`s history. I kinda like this HJT thingie.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 2:55:49 PM, on 10/6/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\DIRECPC\webpkg\dpcproxy.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\WDBtnMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\WDC\SetIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dgndp.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\grwfsrs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\grwfsrs.exe
C:\Program Files\DirecPC\BIN\dpcstart.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\computer name\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.usefulware.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://search.usefulware.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://search.usefulware.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WD Button Manager] WDBtnMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetIcon] \Program Files\WDC\SetIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SATA Corporation Data] C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dgndp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ffqvss] grwfsrs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ffqvss] grwfsrs.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ffqvss] grwfsrs.exe
O4 - Global Startup: dpcstart.lnk = C:\Program Files\DirecPC\BIN\dpcstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm Pro.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\system32\msjava.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{71431592-C427-460D-8373-64DE7AD99FBA}: had my ISP domain name here.
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{71431592-C427-460D-8373-64DE7AD99FBA}: had my TCP/IP adresses here

g.w.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.