Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant get xp lame...oops home to defrag - it does nothing. i have tried it in 'safe mode' and via a command prompt (the command prompt i get an error msg. "unable to connect with defrag engine"). i have googled for other defraggers and see none. i dont want one of those that defrags in the background . any ideas where i can get a working copy of the microsnot version or a good 3rd party one...tkz

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Diskeeper is a good defragmenter (the only one that comes to mind when I think 3rd party deframenters). It's only a free trial, the actual program is not free, but it should work for defragmenting at least once. Perhaps by then you will have the system one working again.

What error does it give you when you try to access the defragmenter? or does it just not load?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xp wont defrag- reply

when i click on the icon, it returns no error message and just sits there...i even took the defrag.exe from my xp pro machine and it wont work either ( it does work under xp pro)...is it on the install disk somewhere so i can try that...if all fails then i have no choice but to format, right? that sux just for a little program they make ya format and lose the whole world - yes i am backed up but re installing 80gb of music is a P.I.T.A. any help is appreciated...ps diskeeper is one of those "automatic defraggers"...no thanks for that...looking for a program like microsnots but works!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cant defrag xp home

i sure did check it usin HD Tune 2.10, real good proggie, check it out.. things like temp, burst rate, avg rate and lots more stuff ya might wanna know.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
jbirdie1 said:
ps diskeeper is one of those "automatic defraggers"...no thanks for that...looking for a program like microsnots but works!!!
Diskkeeper is one of the best third-party defraggers out there. I suggest you use it, because nothing else seems to be working.

If you still refuse to use that program, then I suggest you perform a repair install. You will need to reinstall your Windows Updates afterwards.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Note: If you have any thing running IE, IAM, Out look or any thing else that will access the drive sometimes will stall a defrag because the contents change and it will start over continuosly. Some Mall Ware will do it to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Resolution said:
Diskkeeper is one of the best third-party defraggers out there. I suggest you use it,
I agree with that too. It IS an automatic defragmenter, it has some neat features you can make use of to schedule it, but you can also just use it to defragment normally and it does a great job. You could also run a disk cleanup before the defrag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.