Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought Windows XP Home and to my shock discovered that you cannot run Personal Web Server on it. I use PWS to test my Active Server Pages websites. What do I do?

Is there any way to run ASP's on XP Home?
Or do I have to buy XP Pro?

One solution I have thought about is having a second HDD with Win98 on it just for ASP's. How do you go about creating one of those menus that allows you to select from which HDD to boot from? I mean those ones that give you so many seconds before it boots itself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
Well, if you formated all your drives and started over, installing Win98 first, then after thats done, install WinXP and WinXP will automatically set up the boot sequence with a boot menu for you. It has to be done in that order though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DJ Specs - Wouldn't XP try to overwrite Win98 if I did this? Also would I have trouble reactivating XP Home? I have heard that you can only activate your copy of XP once. Is this true?

S

·
0 Posts
As far as the dual boot thing goes I never use it because I swap hard drives, So I won't be any help there.

But as far as activation goes I reactivated mine six times with no problem, But on the seventh time I had to call and tell them why I was reacivating again.

And a few weeks ago I had to reload my OS due to some virus I got and didn't have to call. I think there is a six month time factor involved with activation...............:winkgrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a go at creating a dual boot system and I'm sad to say it didn't go too good. There was no problem installing both operating systems, you just put them on separate partitions and the boot menu was created automatically. But Win98 did not run well after XP was installed.

There were 2 problems that I could not solve. When I tried to run Personal Web Server, I got a message that winsock 2 was not enabled. Next I got this message on startup:

While initializing device CONFIGMG:
Windows Protection error. You need to restart your computer.

After a reboot this message would not go away and I could not get back into windows. Anway I decided to get rid of XP and am now back with Win98.

Anyone want to buy XP Home?

·
Registered
1 Posts
sp rpo webservers

hey i have win xp pro and i wanted to like host a webiste form my comp u know like kinda of like turning my comp into a server to host websites and sutff right i have one called kf webservers but i dont get how to use it in a way so that i cna have like all the memory i need on a website cuase right now i got the freewebs website and it dosent come wit that much memmory so i need more but i dont wnaan pay tnhe monthly charge right so dose any one knwo how to tuse thta program or know of a better and/or simpler one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.