Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got XP Home with SP1 installed. When I manually go into sleep or stanby mode, I get up to the "Preparing to go into ... mode" and eveything will just freeze. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Sup J...

Yo, did you upgrade from a previous OS to XP or is this a new computer....

I know that Some computers have problems handling Standby/Hybernate/Sleep...(which ever)...when upgraded to winXP....Like most HP computers.

If this happens repeatedly, (After 3 times I remeber) the next time you turn on your computer Windows will tell you that Your computer stops responding when going to sleep, and will ask you if you would like to disable sleep mode.

any other opinions???

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
FWIW, hibernate and sleep modes cause more problems than the next five things on the list IMO. They are also basically useless, I'd just disable them and put the problem behind you. If you allow your monitor to power save, you've saved the vast majority of power anyway, it's the biggest power drain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RZA, nope XP Home is the OEM operating system. Tried to do it over and over, more than 3 times but never got the option to disable sleep mode.

johnwill, this is a laptop so whenever I'm away for periods of 20 to 40 minutes, I would like stop the hard drive and CPU to save some wear and tear.

Anyone else have suggestions? Thanks!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, it's generally argued that there is no benefit to powering down hard drives if you're doing it for reliability reasons, it's easier on them to just let them run. I have no idea why the processor would benefit from standby mode...

However, for battery use, I can see the use of standby on a laptop, I even use it on mine. :) Have you checked the event log? It sounds like some device driver is not reacting properly, but it's really hard to know...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.