Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:upset: I have 4 machines in the house, 2 laptops - 1 running XP Home (SP2), and 1 XP Media Edition, and 2 Desktops which are both running XP Home (SP2). My sons computer (XP Home SP2) has the firewall turned off and the option buttons are greyed out with the 'controled by group policy' message up top. No other machine in the house experiences this situation. My intent is to turn on the firewall not turn it off.

Is there a way that you can help. I do not want to violate any rules, but at this point, I'm probably looking at an XP Repair installation. Seems like alot of trouble, if it can be done with a registry tweak. I think this may have happened as a result of trying to use McAfee Manage the Network option, but Im not sure about that.

I have tried:

netsh firewall reset
netsh winsock reset

Basically, the system thinks its being controled by 'some' Group Policy. But there isn't any. I have no XP Professional, or win 2K systems on my network.

If you can't give me the outright answer without violating the forum rules, can you at least point me in the right direction? PLEASE:pray:

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I have seen this on machines that were infected by some type of malware.

Look over the First Steps at Removing Malware , then post a HJT log in the HiJackThisLog Help Forum

Also, Click Start /Run and type in regedit

Navigate to the following keys below and delete the keys found under Microsoft for WindowsFirewall if any

. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall
\DomainProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall
\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a couple of error messages, the firewall is now enabled. It still says that certain settings are being controled by group policy settings. How can I cet rid of them? Is that possible without doing a full system repair?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.