Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a similar problem. Been trying to load Win XP on a PC - Shuttle AK31MB, 512MB RAM, 80G WD HD and keep getting the error that no hard drive found, press F3 and reboot. This is a new build and can't seem to figure out what the fix is.

Only have the HD on the Pri controller and CDRW on the Sec. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. My question is have you seen this problem before and is there 'simple' solution to getting XP to recognize the HD? Is this unique to HDs over a certain size?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:D I see,

Well yes I have seen this problem before .. normally caused by a RAID setup (which is why I asked)

XP does not to my knowledge have a size limitation problem -- Iv installed on 80GB before no problem so....

and last, one mans "simple" in another mans "impossible"

I need to get information out of you in order to help you, knowone here has a magic bullet thats gonna solve all problems. :rolleyes:

Now that we've established that I understand your question ... what with me not being stupid and all, I have a couple more questions for you:

1) Is this a new drive / new computer
2) Have you ever set up an OS on this drive before
3) Is your HD being seen by bios durring post
4) Is all your memory being seen by bios durring post

Now I know you said that its a new build, but that does not mean you have not tried to install a diff. OS on it, and I also understand that if the computers new the HD is more than likely as well, but you could have gotten it out of an older system.(wanted to say that before you jumped me :) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tech,

It is a new computer with a new drive.

Never set up an OS on the drive before.

Th HD is being seen by the bios.

All of the memory is being seen by the bios as well.

Thanks for the assist. It is strange. I've built other systems using the same MB and memory and never had a problem. Now I try XP and....crap!

p.S. I never jump folks!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Sorry, just seemed like you were getting a little .... testy in your first responce .. :D

Anyway with all your answers ... I can say Iv never seen or dealt with that problem ... I will however check around and if I come up with somthing I'll post back and let you know.

S

·
0 Posts
Did you take all of the jumpers off of the hard drive? I do believe that no jumpers for a master alone with WD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPEEDO,

I removed the jumper from the HD. It came from the fac. set for CS but is now set up as master. In reading through some of the other forums, I've noticed there are a few others with the same or similar problems. All the ones I recall indicated the drives where WD!

I wonder...........:confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Are you using an 80 conducter IDE cable with the blue end connected to the motherboard?

S

·
0 Posts
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Try booting to a Win98 boot disk and see if you can fdisk it, If that doesn't work then I would try another drive.

S

·
0 Posts
Did you fdisk the drive?

And if you did was the full size of the drive recognized?

If it was try formatting it. If you can format the drive then there is an issue somewheres else..............:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to FDISK and format. The recognized portion was slightly lower than the 80BG drive--approx 78GB. From what I've expreienced in the past, that is normal.

Here is something else that I discovered last night after I did all of this. I tried to use the disk that came with the drive to run some diagnostics and it said no WD drive was found!

Does this make any sense to you (or anybody out there)! :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
This gets better by the minute......................LOL

Stick the XP CD in the drive and enter the bios and set the boot sequence to boot to CD-Rom first.

See if it will see the drive. It just doesn't make any sense that you can fdisk it and format it. But try booting to the CD and lets see what happens................:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can boot from the CD. The problem comes when it APPEARS that Windows is loading and you get to the screen that says type R to repair a previous installation or hit ENTER to install Windows. When I hit ENTER, I get the following message:

Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your system.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and....

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

S

·
0 Posts
Do you have another OS that you can try and load on there to see if it will detect the hard drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
maybe..

I have done tons of stuff with installing operating systems (lots of headaches)
The main things i would say and i know they are repetitive
Cables, Power, the connector set to master, make sure bios can see it, try booting from a millenium startup disk works, Install 95, 98 or another OS first then just upgrade, because that is crazy if you can install it with another OS. Might be a faulty disk, my friend has a windows 95 disk an old one, the cdkey that came with it is corrupted and the CD it says like PMC or something is corrupted, anyways it might be the disk.
Bah i am babbling, just try to install it with another CD and try
at command prompt
dir C:
or whatever drive it is
see if it can see it thru prompt anyways my reign of stupidity is over hope you get it worked out
-Jinks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried to install 98. It started to load (disk was recognized by floppy) and then I got an error saying that a file was corrupt. I think it may be becasue of dirt or a scratch on the CD.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.