Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I live with a couple of other guys, and we have a DSL line shared between us using ICS on an XP pro gateway. There are several machines in the house running a mix of Win2k, XP, and Debian.

The problem is that there seems to be rather a lot of packet loss creeping in to the equation somewhere. When trying to navigate to a website, or making any kind of connection to the outside world, it will often take 5 or 6 connection attempts before anything will come back. Clicking a link once is never good enough, it just times out. This does not happen internally on the network, so there is no problem there, just when accessing the internet. Attempting connections from the gateway its self is not a problem, it works just as you would expect it to.

I have been putting up with this for too long now, and ideally i would stick my Debian machine in as gateway, but its not technically my internet connection, so i dont really get a say in what acts as gateway.

can anyone shed any light on the problem? anyone else experienced this?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'd install a broadband router and be done with it. You also won't have a machine that's tied up being the "gateway"...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would be nice, but i am after a free option really. and as i said, i dont get much of a say in what gateways the network. i can only really offer advice to my housemate on sorting the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.