Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've run weekly scans on my computer for viruses, every time it reaches a couple files inside a folder it stops, the folder is a subfolder of MSOCache. I've run Ad-Aware Personal, along with AVG Free 7.5 and every time it hits that one file it freezes the whole system up. I've also run the AVG scan in Safe mode and get the same issue. This has not always been the case however it’s been like this for about three weeks, which ironically is about the same amount of time I've had office installed. Any suggestions as to tests to run, solutions, or suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated.

A little background, for those of you who aren't familiar I'll just fill you in on what I've learned so far. The MSOCache folder is a folder put there by Microsoft office for the purpose of installation of more features as the user wishes. This is my computer specs

CPU: AM2 64 X2 4200+
MOBO: ASUS Crossfire
Hard Drive Configuration
2x Raptor Drives 150GB, RAID Striped (G Local Disk)
1x 400GB WD(C SWAP 2GB, E Data 370GB)
RAM: 1GB Corsairs
Video Card: NVIDIA 7600GT
Sound Card: SB X-Fi
DVD: Plextor 716SA

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi magilla1181, how long have you left AVG scanning the directory for? The MSOcache folder contains many compressed files so it may take a while for some scanners to get through it depending on what priority CPU they are using.

Alternatively, you can try some online scanners to see if they have the same problem with the folder (TrendMicro or Panda ActiveScan). If they both stall on that folder, it's like the contents have become corrupt. Not sure if that's fixable but if you back up all your Office settings/personal folders, uninstall Office and then delete the MSOcache, it will be recreated during reinstallation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the problem fixed, i found a tool with Microsoft which removed the folder. However I'll write a little blurb about things i tried before. First off according to all documentation you should not just delete the folder, you have to use a removal tool. Second I ran check disk with no luck, also i tried defraging the hard drive in hopes the file would be moved to another sector of the hard drive. It did not work. In the end since the file was removed and not moved I still have nothing to say if the file was corrupted or if the hard drive is about to fail. I might call western digital to see if they have a tool which can do a deep check without disturbing the data. Other wise it may be a wait and see if there is another problem later.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Western Digital should have a HDD diagnotic tool available via their website if you have a look.

It's perfectly safe to manually delete the msocache folder via explorer...regardless of what Microsoft says ;) I've done it many times and the only downside of doing it, is that you have to edit the registry so that it no longer thinks the cached files are there...if you use the tool, it tidies those up for you but if you don't, you're not going to harm your machine...unless i'm just very lucky ;)

The freezing may have been because some of the compressed files may have been protected making it harder for some AV programs to gain access?? That's just a guess though as my AV (NOD32) has never had a problem.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted and I hope your hard drive isn't failing...may be an idea to start backing up just incase?? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.