Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell 8400 series win xp sp3.
While moving, copying my image files in windows explorer my pc locked up. Had to hold down power button to shut down. Thereafter on bootup it stops and freezes on blue welcome screen. Booting from f8 screen safe mode etc., doesn't work..still hangs on welcome scrn. tried booting with install cd after changing boot sequence but it will not recognize disk in cd/rom drive.. just keeps say "insert disk with digital data" as if the drive was empty. So...I'm stuck looking at a welcome screen. Help! (i'm logged on here using my phone..very slow)

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Go into the Bios and make sure the first boot device is set to CD Rom drive. If you have more then one optical drive, try them both. If it does not recognize your boot disc, then it probably isn't a boot disc. Try it in a different computer. It sounds like the hard drive may be going out. After the computer posts, but before the Windows Splash screen, hit the F8 key continually till you have the boot messages "Safe Mode" "Safe Mode with Networking" etc. Try choose Safe Mode with networking. Go to Start/Run type CMD and type chkdsk /F Type Y to check drive on next boot up. Restart comptuer and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It definetly is the boot disk that came with the pc as i have used it in the past. As I said "Thereafter on bootup it stops and freezes on blue welcome screen. Booting from f8 screen safe mode etc., doesn't work..still hangs on welcome scrn. tried booting with install cd after changing boot sequence (to cd/rom)first but it will not recognize disk in cd/rom drive.. just keeps say "insert disk with digital data" as if the drive was empty." Actually it does go to safe mode screen from F8 Advanced Options Menu. But then it hangs on the blue "entering windows screen.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Boot disc may be scratched or the CD drive isn't reading it. Try a different CD drive. Or Try another boot CD (doesn't have to be Windows) to see if it boots shut down, then put your Windows Boot CD in. Once the drive remembers how to boot it should pick up your Windows Boot CD. The other option is to go to another computer with a burner and create an ISO image your Windows Boot Disc using the burner software and then Burn that image to a blank, and try to boot from that. Then try and do a Repair Install. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, those ideas/options all sound good. Right now I'm thinking possibly aside from whatever is causing it (pc)to lock-up the cd/rom drive is likely faulty and not the disk. The onboard burner reads the disk and checks out with the loaded dell diagnostics. Not sure how I will resolve this yet as I don't now anyone that could help me. May have to call someone (ie.geek squad)to evaluate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.