Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was trying to find a solution to my problem when I came across this board. I'm hoping that perhaps someone here can help me out. Recently, I contracted some spyware problems. I know this because I got popups, and something stealthed installed there way onto my taskbar. I tried to fix it, but to no avail. Then for the last few days, I haven't restarted my computer, but I did restart just tonight. After the restart, now XP locks up just shortly after I start booting into my desktop. My AVG auto update pops up, but instantly freezes. I can still access my task manager, but only for a little while before even that locks up (I can always bring up a "fresh" task manager by hitting ctrl+alt+del but the windows of the previous ones can not be removed). I tried to boot into safe mode and fix some things, but even safe mode locks up. After it seems like everything loads, I can't access anything. When I bring my mouse cursor to my taskbar, the busy hourglass symbol comes out. At this point, I just really don't know what to do...there are some important stuff on the drive that my XP is installed on, so I would really hope there is an alternative to reformatting. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Fusion

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi fusionX,

one thing you can do is to bootup with your windows xp cd and choose repair in the main console when you get to the menu if you want to install windows xp or not. choose repair instead.

then the computer will ask you for an admin password but simply hit enter if you dont have one and the computer will skip it. then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r. reboot the computer after this is finish and boot into windows regularly and see if you can get the freezing to stop.

also try booting into safe mode again by pressing F8 when you restart your computer. at the safe mode option, choose "last good configurations" and see if that helps. good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
To me, this might be a hardware problem. Maybe letting it run for too long without hibernation,stand-by, or anything may have fried something or whatnot. It should boot fine in safe mode but if it keeps freezing after keymakers suggestion, then try checking your hardware config...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.