Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting recently, every time I boot, everything will work just fine for about 10 minutes, then it will slow to a stop completely out of nowhere. The only thing I can do at that point is move the cursor, and only barely. I've tried removing all unneccesary tray icons and I've run spybot, ad-aware, and norton, but neither helped.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe major maybe because I don't know too much about this. But it might be a boot sector virus, probably not though.

Although I'm thinking it would probably be the cooling system on your computer.

Over 10 minutes with improper cooling your computer automatically runs this little process called System Idle process, which is I think intended to cool down your CPU if it's too hot. During the period that process is running your computer slows down dramatically.

So your check your computer temperature and see if it's absurdly high. Then try out some solutions such as opening your PC and have a fan blow on it at high speed, and see if your computer runs fine for a little longer than usual. If it does than most likely you need to get better cooling.

Did you buy the correct heatsink? Do you have things obstructing the vents? Did you clean out the dust in your computer? Do you have some sort of thermal conductor connecting the heatsink and CPU? Do the wires and cables inside your computer block the airflow complete?

And in the meantime check my thread "Nightmarish Troule with a Home-Built Computer" and see if there is anyway anyone who reads this message can help me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cloudlife said:
runs this little process called System Idle process, which is I think intended to cool down your CPU if it's too hot. During the period that process is running your computer slows down dramatically.
System Idle Process is a HLT command that Windows 2000 or Windows XP will send when the system is at idle. It's activated when the system is at idle (or not at 100% usage - most of the time) to keep the processor at cooler temperatures.

It shouldn't slow down your computer at all though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know it's not a memory problem-I only have one stick so if it was bad, then it wouldn't boot.

As for cooling, I'm using the stock hsf, the same one i've been using ever since I built this thing a few months ago-and the fans are unobstructed.

Any others?

btw here is what is running:

AGRSMMSG
ati2evxx
atiptaxx
CCAPP
CCEVTMGR
cidaemon
cidaemon (yeah 2 of em)
cisvc
csrss
cursorXP
DirectCD
DKservice
eEBSvc
explorer
fxssvc
IEXPLORE
inetinfo
lsass
msmsgs
NAVAPSVC
NPROTECT
SAgent2
Services
smss
snmp
spoolsv
sscansvc
StyleXPservice
svchost (5 of em)
system
system idle process
tcpsvcs
trayserver
winlogon
wuauclut
xpsp1hfm

also some windows update stuff i didn't include

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay There Should Not be that many processes during start up.
There especially shouldn't be 5 svchosts.

Run a diagnostic startup. Do this by going to run and type in "msconfig" without the quotations, then select diagnostic startup.

Then if the problem is fixed then:
#1 Change to selective startup.
#2 Click the startup tab and choose which programs you actually want to startup (look under the Command column to see which folder it comes from to help you choose which ones to startup and which ones to not)
#3 Save settings, restart, play solitare, come back after 10 minutes, and hope that it still works.

Also there is a HIGH probability of a messed up stick of RAM. I could boot up go to Windows and do stuff, but my programs would always crash and I would always get the BSOD.

I ran memtest-86 and I discovered my RAM HAD 60,000 ERRORS IN IT!!!!!

I am typing this Just as I got back from Fry's Electronics replacing my RAM. My new RAM has a much lower 377 errors and for the past 10 minutes is working alright.

·
Registered
57 Posts
!!

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but you can try>>
I had a similar problem with a customers computer and this is what i did to remedy it...
Take the fan off of the CPU and clean it carefully. Make sure the connections to this fan are plugged in properly. Leave the side off of the pc and make sure that fan is turning when you start it up. And just clean out the rest of the dust inside the pc>Carefully if there is any! Once i cleaned the CPU fan and unplugged and replugged the wires it worked fine.. Give it a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe the same problem, maybe not... but I have a huge memory problem with one account on my XP machine.
I have 256 MB RAM, and the Task manager tells me the machine uses 1.4 GB !
It's due to cidaemon.exe (which indexes the files in my machine).
Apparently, either it doesn't free correctly its memory or it uses a giant file allocated on RAM.
Anyway, when I stop it (manually via Task Manager) all the memory goes back to normal.
All I now have to do is to unpick the indexing option for searching... The reason why I said one account is because I haven't picked this option in the other one...

But if THAT is not a bug, then what is ?...
:angry2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.