Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, had a power glitch for 1 second now my xp temporarly freezes up on start up (5 min.) then seems to start up ok, but maybe running a little slow. Tried registry cleanerand system restore, I'm not all that computer savy and could use a hand. Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
First, read this. It contains important information about registry cleaners. Basically, they do more harm than help.

We need a little more information before we can help you. Could you explain what you were doing when your computer shut down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, read this. It contains important information about registry cleaners. Basically, they do more harm than help.

We need a little more information before we can help you. Could you explain what you were doing when your computer shut down?
Thanks for the heads-up on the registry cleaner, I had no idea, OOOPS. My computer was no in use but was running desktop only. The power simply blinked and the problem showed up on startup. On start up it freezes at a black screen showing a E Machine logo and some f key notations then in appx 5 min. it shows a couple more black screens showing more f key options weit a noticable delay between each transition. I beleive it's the normal starting sequence just with various hesitations but not really shure. Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Restart in Safe Mode (after the computer Posts and before the Windows Splash screen hit the F8 Key) Choose Safe Mode with Networking. Uninstall any new hardware drivers or programs that you installed before this problem. Then download and install www.malwarebytes.org and do a full scan.
Have done as you suggest, found
registry keys infected-3
folders infected-4
files infected-13
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOF\srpt.tieadvbho TROJAN.BHO

Everything else ok and states problems deleted
But still have same start up problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would suggest (1) go to command prompt (e.g., Start->Run->type 'chkdsk c: /f'' (without quotes) then Enter. When it says it cannot do it now, okay to do it on restart, say 'y' and restart. This wil check for and fix basic file errors. Then, if all is not okay, go to Start->All programs->Accesories->System Tools->System Restore. Choose a restore point date before the problem started and let it restore. This is reversible. NOTE: Things loose on your desktop are NOT protected but are safe if moved into My Documents folder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest (1) go to command prompt (e.g., Start->Run->type 'chkdsk c: /f'' (without quotes) then Enter. When it says it cannot do it now, okay to do it on restart, say 'y' and restart. This wil check for and fix basic file errors. Then, if all is not okay, go to Start->All programs->Accesories->System Tools->System Restore. Choose a restore point date before the problem started and let it restore. This is reversible. NOTE: Things loose on your desktop are NOT protected but are safe if moved into My Documents folder.
I am logged in as admin but cannot access chkdskc:/f,-- ran restore, no help
Defender pro full scan shows ok-- Cannot get back to run second malwarebytes-- says I have a account on one page says I don't on another and cannot re register-- Desktop background has gone from color to black as if in safe mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, but what we do in a case like this is pull the drive, back it up, and scan for viruses by attaching it to another computer. Can you get a command prompt? (Start -> Run -> type 'cmd' then ENTER.) If the cmd prompt window automatically closes you are dealing with malware or remnants of malware and that needs to be addressed first. A chkdsk on the C drive when using the /f or /r switch requires a reboot before it will run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The prompt window displays " C:\Documents and Settings Owner " and remains open. Does this alter the need to pull the drive to scan, are we at the end of the battle without doing so? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have not aleady done so, at the command prompt, type 'chkdsk c: /f' and hit ENTER. When it says "Cannot run because the volume is in use.." say 'y' (run on restart) then hit ENTER, and restart the computer. That will cause it run a chkdsk as it starts up and try to fix any file errors. You can watch as it does the chkdsk to see if any errors are noted. If the startup problems persist, the next step I would try is to go to MSConfig (Start->Run> type in 'msconfig', then ENTER) and choose Diagnostic Startup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.