Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows Vista stinks for video games. Causes freezing and framerate problems. So I formatted my drive and went to install windows xp and I get the blue screen of deathiness. 'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Stop:
0x0000007E. What do I do? I don't want Vista. It sucks!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
See this Microsoft troubleshooter.

One thing I noticed is that the BIOS may affect whether or not the PC can run Windows XP. Some of the new PCs don't have device drivers for XP, and on rare occasions they may not even allow the installation of XP due to the hardware not being built for XP.

Have other people been able to successfully run XP on this model before?

BMR777

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no clue. I don't think it's the device driver thingy because old computers that don't come with them work with windows xp. It's an inspiron 1721. But maybe, who knows. I read somewhere that windows xp can be installed within windows vista. So I'm installing windows vista again. The thing is though that it's taken over four hours now and it still says 'completing installation...' I'm considering sending the computer back for a complete refund. What junk. I assumed that products I buy should work. I mean when you spend $1400 dollars for something it should work right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well maybe it is the drivers...either way, I think I'll just send the computer back. For once in my life I wanted a computer that would be a pleasure to use instead of a constant pain in my butt. Anyone know where I can get a computer that functions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turns out it's windows xp pro with service pack 2 that is needed because anything less does not support pci express systems. So I had to figure out how to streamline the service pack 2 onto my xp pro installation, then turn it into an iso, then make a bootable disk out of it. Pain in my ****. At least I learned something new today :p

For streamlining this page worked for me
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Making an iso download any free program and then burning it as bootable I used nero http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/winxp_bootable.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey i've a Dell Inspiron 1721 and hate Vista so much... I've got Win XP Pro SP2 but it doesn't work when i boot into the disk it gets to the options for install windows repair windows, etc.. when i select install windows it says windows couldn't detect any harddrives on your machine..

Now i got SATA drivers from AMD and ATI and slipstreamed them into the disk but neither of them worked....
Any ideas cause i really hate vista.. Did i mention i hated vista, lol

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
You Can only downgrade to XP if you have vista buisness or ultimate other than that it wont let you and you want to check that trying to does not void your warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seen online if you want to downgrade from vista to xp you have to install and then change the license over... I have xp and my own code which works but it just doesn't show up drives that's my only problem.

Is there any way of getting certain drivers that i can merge with the xp disk and make it work that way????

P.S I don't care about the warranty, i can just do a restore..

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.