Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Hope someone can help me with this. My computer no-longer recognises any of my .lnk files or exe files. I boot up the computer and am presented with my ususal desktop (usual wallpaper etc) but all of the icons are the default file icon except for explorer and one or two others. even the microsoft office icons are screwed. I then try to click (eg) MS Excel shortcut which it doesn't recognise. It says pick a programme to use from a list. Excel is on this list and then opens and runs as usual. However, most programmes are not on the list.

A bit of backgoraund. I run a dual core AMD machine, XP x64, lavasoft ad-ware and Avast antivirus. Last thing that happened before the problem was that the computer crashed and I had to do a hard-reboot. Upon rebooting lavasoft ad-ware informed me about a large number of attempted changes to my registry. To be on the "safe side" I blocked all of these. Now I have the problem as above. I guess I might have a registry problem. Anyway, lavasoft wont run, neither will regedit, etc, etc.

Any clues on how I can approach this? Thoughts very much appreciated. All my files appear in-tact but my computer is essentially useless in this state (haven't even got anti-virus protection right now!!)

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi again guys

I'm getting quite worried now. I have tried Daj's suggestions with the following results:

1) Profie problems - impossible to tell for sure as my control panel will not allow access to the User Accounts utility. (Control Panel opens but most of the functions within it appear dead)

2) The 5 steps - this proved to be impossible. The Add/Remove Programmes function is not working (as per above) and I cannot download the Panda ActiveX control (it cancels half way through).

Overall, explorer is working fine (or seems to be) but almost nothing else is. All my icons on the desktop and in the start menu are redundant (XP claims not to recognise the .exe file extension!). I have just downloaded a registry cleaner but cannot install it for the same reason. My system tray is empty except for the network icon (says I am disconnected - obviously I am not as I am on the internet now) and the volume icon. Some programmes (Excel, Word, Paint, Notepad and a few others) I can use if I select "open with" for a file. I cannot load Excel or any of the others directly.

As I mentioned before, I blocked a huge number of attempted registry changes with Adware just before this problem presented itself. Not sure if this was the cause or a symptom of my current problems....

Again, any more advice or help much appreciated
Thanks
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.