Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just bought a Brand New Computer! It was an impulse buy from PCWorld because it was a good deal(well I think so!) P4 3G 1G ram XP M.C.E.
(more on this later) £280.00 with full 12month warranty etc.
My question is, Geekgirl talks of inserting "my" XP disc and checking 'tings out.
Well, PCW did not and will not supply such a disc. I have made a sys recovery DVD but I have heard that this is not nearly as useful.
As I have paid for a street legal pc, am I not entitled to a copy of the os?

Win Media Centre Edition. This pc has this software but not the hardware, not that I needed either. I have discovered however that MCE is not good with some music apps? This is my main area of interest and although I have no problems at the moment I would like to know if it is possible to "trade" Medcen for XP home? A modest charge would be expected.
Dave.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Unfortunately, MS does allow for some large-volume manufacturer's to provide a restore partition or CD in lieu of the authentic OS media.

However, if you call the pc's manufacturer and stay persistent, you may get one out of them. Otherwise, a call to MS and a few $$$ (not much mind you) will get you a replacement CD.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Chevy.
I will badger E-Systems and see what I can get. Ref MS, I did try to get in touch but was diverted by their rather byzantine system. Do you have a contact point please?
All the best
Dave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.