Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, unfortunately I was not able to be at the computer while this scenario was happening, but was on the phone with my somewhat tech literate friend. The best I can describe is that there were two drives in the computer, one of which had windows on it previously but had most of the windows files deleted.

The user then went to install windows on the new drive (no previous installs) and it installed and worked fine. After rebooting into linux to image the drive, they noticed some files (ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini etc) on the previously installed drive. Assuming these were remnants I suggested they delete them. The imaging completed, and the computer restarted. But now the computer would not boot into windows. We went back into linux, and looked at the fresh install drive and it was missing all the necessary boot files (ntldr, ntdetect.com, etc.). I checked the image file that was made, and it was missing them too.

The best I can tell is that windows installed some of the files on the old drive and the rest on the new drive? Has anyone ever experienced this, or can possibly shed some light on the situation?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Windows will do as you have indicated , if there are two drives present during install. It would have informed you of this at partition time. I answer this not as an expert but as a person who has seen it happen.( very recently). In my case it installed a partition on the first drive and named it C and then installed Xp onto the other drive and called it D.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.