Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
XP corrupted after 98 HDD installed (RESOLVED)

I have a computer from a friend that is giving me a fit (of course). He tried to add another drive that contained Win98. Needless to say Windows was not going to have two active bootable drives installed. He removed the 98 HDD and restarted the computer. This is where the fun begins. At first XP pro would load incredibly slow. After finally being able to log on the Task bar disappeared, desktop icons were locked and most programs issued an error. I was able to recover the Task bar and unlock the icons. XP still loads slowly and some of the programs are not responding correctly. Media Player is giving an error of not enough memory. I am getting an error about the Desktop Index being out of sink and will not repair after a reboot. I get an error stating that something is not loading correctly from the Reg with the description being four squares. I scanned the Reg and tried to use System Restore but got an error stating that it could not protect the computer even though it is enabled. I tried to repair windows with no luck. Recovery Console did not help and I get all the same errors in Safe Mode.

I am going with a reinstall but I am curious of this situation. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TSF

Did you set the BIOS back to default settings or at least look to see if it has the correct boot sequence.
Did he set those drives both up as masters?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two drives enter. One drive leaves.

The BIOS was set to boot from the HDD. Unfortunately he installed a HDD that he removed from an old 98 machine. Both drives were set as master and when he started the system up with both it booted to 98. I am guessing that since both drives were active and the 98 drive was on the master cable position, the XP files were trying to load also and became corrupted.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
To correct your perception, the two O/S's would not have crashed, clashed or conflicted. The BIOS woud have picked whichever hard drive, and the system would have tried to boot from that.

It was not the existance of the second O/S, but it MAY have been a HD with the wrong jumper setting on the wrong part of the cable.

Water under the bridge now, I suppose. Also, it is very doubtful that the Win98 HD could have booted the machine under any circumstances, as the hardware for it is probably WAY in advance for however the Win98 installation's drivers were configured for.

But whatever, now the Win98 HD is gone but the quesiton remains is the XP HD jumpered correctly and on the right place of the cable.

I can't figure a connection to any of the hard-drive moving issues with corruption of XP data and suspect that there were other actions taking place that jimmied the jam-jam (which is to say that the pooch was ----ed).

In any case, I'd try one more shot at running fixboot, fixmbr and chkdsk from Windows Recovery. If that fails I'd try another Repair Install, and if that fails then it would be time for Geek-Girl's favorite nuclear option, the reformat and New Install.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
This thread will be closed. The original poster has stated that he/she is not needing additional assistance. If the original poster needs this thread re-opened please pm a moderator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.