Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I've posted this in the right place. I'm running XP, and yesterday I was given a Canon LiDE 110 scanner that I'd like to add to the system. I wasn't given the CD with it, so I looked for the drivers and download online. Thought I had it all, but the scanner doesn't work (just blackout boxes instead of pictures). I went back and tried the downloads again, but I've since found a notation on one site that says there's no download available for my operating system. Since most of the sites seem to indicate it is or was compatible, is there perhaps an outdated driver I need to make the scanner work with XP, and is there a place to find it since the scanner CD isn't available to me? Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3293 Mb
Graphics Card:
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476929 MB, Free - 447860 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, G41M-P23 (MS-7592)
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
6,733 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Spyware Dr, and thank you for your response. I believe your suggestions have worked. I now have the driver, the Quick Menu, and MP Navigator EX 4.0 downloaded, so in theory, it should be working. Unfortunately, it's not.

When I try to use the scanner, I get a message that advises me to release the lock switch (which is already released), unplug and reconnect the USB cable (which I've done), and says scanner driver will be closed. The screen flashes any advisory which says "Code:2, 179, 16".

I've spent many, many hours repeating the process.....Removing and reinstalling the drivers and program, and attempting to do a scan. The closest I come is by going through the computer Start Menu>My Computer> Scan, which will produce a Preview pane or My Pictures image which is a blacked-out image.

I'm stumped.

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,106 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have been really helpful, and I really appreciate it. I hate to be a pain in the ***, but I've hit an impasse again.

I tried some of the links suggested and they all turned out to be Answer or Fixya, but that's not going to work out for me (Newly retired, very low fixed income, can't afford to pay for advice)

I did find one link that looked very promising.....It's a YouTube video that addresses this problem. The main difficulty is that the computer the tech used as an example for the fix is Windows 7, and there appears to be some format changes from the XP I'm using. The suggested changes involve going into Start>Control Panel>Folder Options, then Show hidden files. So far, so good.

But then, the tech minimizes that screen and wants me to go back to the Start Menu and bring up App Data, which should display an number of additional files that were previously hidden files, including Roaming which I'm supposed to select, and then Microsoft, and then Windows, then Network Shortcuts, where I delete MSN. At that point, I'm supposed to bring back that minimized screen in Folder Options, select Hide some files, and it's all supposed to be good.

This last set of instructions, starting with APP Data just doesn't show up, and that's where I get lost. After two hours of struggling, I'm stuck.....appealing for your advice again, or having to give up.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
6,733 Posts
You can find the appdata folder by navigating to it in Explorer under XP. First Show Hidden Files and Folders then go to My Computer > C:\Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Application Data\Roaming

- Replace {UserName} with your actual Windows user name

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'm in over my head.

I was able to find the Show Hidden Files and Folders. I've done the go to My Computer>C Documents and Settings, but then I'm lost. I don't know what my User Name is (I've never heard of this before....I know that I'm the administrator, but nothing else) and I can't find anything under C Documents and Settings that's marked Application Data\Roaming.

Am I dead in the water here, or, assuming there's a way to get around the fact that I don't know my Windows User Name, could I hire you or someone from your forum staff to do this remotely for me and pay you by Paypal? The only computer shop here in town (which is where I bought my tower) has closed it's doors, so professional help at the local level is not available.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
Right click your Start button and choose Explore,Browse to C:\Documents and Settings, Under this Directory there are folders called Administrator, Default, and at least one User Name or more. Double click Any of the User Name directories. If you have Hidden Files and Folders Showing, you should see a faded folder called AppData. You can also go to Start/Run and type %APPlICATIONDATA% and press enter. In here you9 should see Roaming, Local etc

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your additional suggestions. The remedy of opening Start>Run, and typing in %applicationdata% didn't work. When I did it, the computer said Windows cannot find a file named application data.

However, when I right-clicked on the Start menu (didn't know I could do this) it did bring up the lists shown with the Administrator's name, which I clicked on, and that did bring up the appdata file. When I Explore appdata, the only thing it shows is something called LocalLow. When I try to Open or Explore LocalLow, the file is empty.

In back-checking the responses to the suggested fix online, a great number of users reported the same thing....The file is empty. There's no mention of Microsoft or Roaming. I'm not sure if this is because I'm using XP instead of a newer format, but I've run out of options.

I now have 32 hours invested in trying to solve the issue, and it's becoming apparent that it's probably not going to happen now. If my time was worth minimum wage, I've already spent more money than it would take to buy a new different scanner, so it's looking like it's counter-productive to keep beating a dead horse.

I think it's time to admit that I'm defeated. I do want to express my thanks for the time you've put into trying to help me. I did learn a lot about my computer, so perhaps it isn't a total loss.

I don't know whether to mark this problem Solved to close the thread. It hasn't dealt with the problem successfully, but I don't want to waste other forum users time time reading the thread if it won't help them.

Thanks you once again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.