Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to copy files to a CD-RW disc using the drag & drop method in Windows Explorer. The CD Writing Wizard appears to work until an error pops up that says something like "The process has failed, please make sure the CD you are using is not scratched or damaged".

The CD-RW discs are brand new Memorex Ultra-Speed CD-RW discs.

Anyone know what the problem is ?? :mad:

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
The windows XP burning software...

I've tried more times than I can remember and always come off with this same error. On multiple computers with all different brands of cd's. I highly recommend you find some third party software.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.. The problem seems to be intermittent and also depends on the CD in the drive. It doesn't work with a CD-RW but does with a CD-R. Kind of defeats the purpose of using a CD-RW. I'm also having a similar problem using the Sonic RecordNow software. I'm also getting an error when trying to copy the files to this same CD-RW disc using Sonic.

Does a CD-RW disc always have to be formatted before using it ? What about a CD-R ?

I obviously want utilize the CD-RW disc for its "re-usable" features.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
I've used probably 10 cd-r's on various machines with various brands of cd's and never had windows successfully burn even 1 single cd.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess its just another quirky Microsoft feature that sounds (and would be) convenient if in fact it worked properly. I love the drag and drop feature from within Windows Explorer.

Why do they tease us with these features that don't work ??

FYI - I did find this article in the Microsoft XP Newsgroups that could be helpfull to others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.