Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
turn pc on, then nothing....

when i turn on my desktop, it shows loading windows 95. sometimes. but i have windows XP. i cannot get into safe mode, the only thing it will let me do is change bios settings. i just get a blank screen most of the time. someone please.....?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Try clearing the cmos by taking the battery out for about ten minutes and then putting it back. When it comes back up, set it to default settings. When it comes back up the next time, then enter the Bios setup menu and make sure your boot order is set to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - 3rd (the one you want to boot from)

Note: Be sure to save before you exit.

If it does not boot up after you save, then try another shut down and see if it will let you enter safe mode after it is to the default setting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
what do you mean disconnect the battery? its a desktop...? disconnect the power cord? and i have 1 hard drive and i dont believe its partitioned.
Inside of your case you will find a small battery about the size of a quarter in most cases, this battery supplies power to your clock and CMOS if removed the info will be lost and at reboot you will have to setup the CMOS again and the clock. This is what Tumbleweed36 was talking about. As for your partitioning If you have one drive in your machine and you go to explorer and is shows only C drive a floppy drive and your CD drive then you do not have a partition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update

Ok, i got an error when i tried it today about system32 or system something file is missing or corrupt. I have not been able to get it back up. still getting the blank screen. Anyway or type of program ora download i can get to repair that file or whatever it is i need to repair without having to purchase another copy of xp? Thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Please try to jot down any errors you recieve and post them for us to look over.

Was XP the default O.S installed on this system? Receiving a win95 error makes no sense and is almost impossible unless someone has been messing with the computer.
Anything you wish to share with us on this matter?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Was this system ever working with WinXP?
Were there any problems with it?

Did you recently install/uninstall some software/hardware that you can recall just prior to this error?

Have you upgraded from Win95 to WinXP? If so, is it of recent or old?
Did the hard-drive ever have Win95 on it?

The rest of the questions we'd like answers to are already mentioned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pc had windows95 installed on it and i upgraded it to xp more than a year ago. As far as i know, everything was fine. I just started getting the error all of a sudden. No idea why.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
NOTE: There are some questions of others here who are kindly helping you as well, that you haven't replied to yet.

Right. As far as I can see this "upgrade" should have been to format the drive before installing WinXP but wasn't. Now its left fragments of Win95 on there, possibly even in the boot.ini and your left stranded in between none.

If there was a way you could get in to it, I'd advise you on how to edit it to get your system bootable. But that seems not possible.

We'd also like to hear your system specs. Do you know them at all?

Do you have a spare HD with a Windows installed that you can add on as Master?
Can you boot into the Recovery Console through the WinXP CD?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, im going to try the battery thing right now, and as for the spare HD, i could remove the one i have on my other desktop, and use it as the master, and i guess i would set the other as the slave? but what good would that do? I will repost in about 15 or so minutes with the results of the battery removal.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
NOTE: There are some questions of others here who are kindly helping you as well, that you haven't replied to yet.
At some point the User gets considered to be "difficult" and people lose interest and move on to help someone else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At this point, i have answered all the questions i have been asked? am i missing one? I'm not rrying to be difficult here.

I did the removal of the battery, I had to load with the default cmos by pressing F1.

The error i received when i pressed F1 was:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrypt; /Windows/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom. Select 'R' at the first screen to select repair."

That is the error i receive. Is there any way around this or a way to fix this without having to purchase another winxp disk?

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
At this point, i have answered all the questions i have been asked? am i missing one? I'm not rrying to be difficult here.
What you need to understand is that it is very difficult to troubleshoot a system without having "hands on". dai's experience here is legendary. Kalim is one of the most technically gifted people I have ever "met" as are Tumbleweed and GeekGirl. I haven't looked at who else is involved here, but the point is there's a group of very-skilled people trying to help. For myself, personally, I think I am a bit of a "hack", but believe that even I could have had this problem solved long ago if I had the ability to sit in front of the machine, mess with it, get data/information, make analysis and continue to mess with it.

We all understand you have limits, that's why you are here asking for help. But even within those limits you could certainly be doing more. Kalim said it & I backed him up.

Are we both wrong ?

The "more" you could be doing is paying very close attention to everything everyone is saying. No one expects blind acceptance of all suggestions from anyone that makes them, but certainly anything that even resembles a question should be responded to, directly. Like this:

We'd also like to hear your system specs. Do you know them at all?
Answer.

Do you have a spare HD with a Windows installed that you can add on as Master?
Answer.
Can you boot into the Recovery Console through the WinXP CD?
Answer.

Was this system ever working with WinXP?
Answer.

Were there any problems with it?
Answer.

Did you recently install/uninstall some software/hardware that you can recall just prior to this error?
Answer.

Have you upgraded from Win95 to WinXP?
Answer.

If so, is it of recent or old?
Answer.

Answer.

If so, is it of recent or old?
Answer.

Answer.

This is what the responses from a motivated User interested in helping themself to help others to solve their problem looks like.

Anything (significantly) less than that looks like a User that wants the problem to be "magically" solved without having to put out much effort, which is the very definition of what I have termed "difficult".

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I understand your points quite fully Girderman :grin: It can get very frustrating doing good out of ones accord and not getting even the due respect for a standard reply.

Yes, as (s)he answered somewhere, there was Win95 on it and they "upgraded". Obviously its not been done to the right accord and the boot.ini is incorrectly edited.

izblilc1, what you need is the WinXP disk. You need to get into the Recovery Console. Run chkdsk /p/r in there and HDD errors will be removed. Try again. If it doesn't work, get back in there and run fixboot.

Instructions on how to access and use Recovery Console are HERE

Oh and don't forget
Kalim speaketh said:
Girderman is one of the most technically gifted people I have ever "met" as are Tumbleweed and GeekGirl. For myself, personally, I think I am a bit of a "hack", but believe that even I could have had this problem solved long ago if I had the ability to sit in front of the machine, mess with it, get data/information, make analysis and continue to mess with it.
Thanks for the compliment

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
i think the problem stems from the upgrade from 95,when xp was released ms stated
no upgrade from 95 only clean install
to stop the problem reoccuring even if a fix is found in this instance,i think the best option is a clean install

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.