Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent four hours trying to figure out how to make a cd bootable. Some kinds of computer info people don't explain because they think it's self evident or they don't want to be very good at explaining it. I think I've hit the jackpot there. I went through over twenty tutorials on making a cd that will start up when my computer starts and they are all complete and utter crap. I have all the xp files. I can make an iso. It's an xp pro installation. Will someone please please tell me how the heck I can actually put those files on a cd, have them all be on the cd, have that cd actually start when I turn on my computer, and have the installation run like a windows xp installation. And please don't tell me to use some program, list three steps out of the necessary thirty five to get it to work, and then say 'and that's it!' Thankyou.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Which program are you using to burn the cd? They usually have a checkbox or something where you tell it whether or not you want the cd to be bootable

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Hello Luck.

Before we can help you, I need to clear a couple of things up for me. If I understand you correctly, you are trying to create a bootable XP Pro installation CD and you say you already have the files.

What is the source of the files?
Do you have the I386 folder included in the files?
Do you have a valid CD Key for the installation?
Do you have Nero?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah I have nero, I have all the files necessary to install windows xp pro with service pack 2 slipstreamed including i386. I do have nero. I have a valid cd key. I had the xp pro cd at some point and went to make a backup copy. I got all the info on it but I never managed to figure out how to make a bootable cd out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Follow instructions in link above. Let us know if it works for you.

You'll also need to make sure that the boot order in BIOS is set to CDRom then Hard Drive.:wink:

Let us know how it goes.

I just seen you other POST. What happened to your original disk?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'Start to extract the boot loader from the original Windows XP CD.'

I don't have the original windows xp cd.

it's set to boot the cd first. My home cd boots up just fine but I get the blue screen of death cause it doesn't support pci express. Only way for it to work is pro with sp2. So I have to use that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, I'll try that, I'd still like to know how to make a disk bootable without having to take the boot information off an old cd. I mean we've been doing it since '95 there's gotta be a way.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
There's always a way. The thing is we are getting into a very gray area here. We have rules in place here at TSF about assisting with pirated software, and while I'm not saying that is what you are trying to do, I have no way of knowing for sure. While the info you are providing may be 100% true and aboveboard, giving you the anwser you seek would also, be giving it to someone who may be trying use illegal software.

I'm sorry that we cannot provide you the info you seek, but we must protect our site from any legal action that may be the result of helping someone use software illegally.

Again, I'm not saying that is your intention, but we have no way of know for sure.

Thank for understanding, and let us know how the XP Home Slipstream goes.

Excerpt from TSF Rules.

P2P

We believe that the main purpose of P2P programs is to illegally download and use copyrighted material of whatever description. We further understand that there may be legal uses for P2P, but as we are not able to assess a user's intent when he/ she asks for help, we do not support P2P software and we will not assist any user in this regard. This includes but is not limited to Bearshare, Kazaa and many others.

ASSISTANCE WITH ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

We will not provide any user with information about the location of websites that assist with software pirating, hacking, password cracking and keystroke recording software. Furthermore we will not offer advice, assistance or instruction with regard to any of the above activities, illegal or otherwise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how did you learn the info? Geez. Freaking info nazis. I have the cd key for both home and pro. What more do you want. The nero thing just burns an image to my desktop.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Again, it's nothing personal, but I have no way of knowing your intentions or the validity of the info you have provided. There is a vast pool of knowledge floating around in cyber space, and the anwsers you seek are out there, but we can provide the anwsers for you.

I recommend that you follow the instructions for slipstreaming the XP Home CD and install that since you actually have that disk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't work, just burns an image to my desktop. If you can google xp bootable cd and if your information is included in the first thirty listings then it doesn't work. Necessary information is left out or it doesn't work. I feel like I'm in a library and the I ask the librarian where the guides to automobiles are and he says 'well I can't show you because you might cut the break lines on the cars in the parking lot.' I'm not asking for any harmful info. Anything illegal at all. I just want to know how to make a disc boot when windows starts. I'm going to another forum where if someone doesn't know what to tell me they don't say 'well I just don't wanna tell you cause you might be a criminal.'

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I know it frustrating, and again I'm sorry. The only thing I can do at this point is submit your thread to the higher ups and seeks thier opinion. If they give the OK then I will assist you further. I don't create the rules, but I must abide by them.:wink:

BTW, according to this article from microsoft, any XP release should support PCI-E, and SP2 is not required.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/PCIe_graphics.mspx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.