Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dual-boot PC with three partitions. C: is FAT32 for Windows ME; E: is NTFS for Windows XP; D: is FAT32 for data shared between them.

A few days ago ME locked up, and I turned off the PC. On re-boot ME did a scandisk on C: and D:. The next time I booted XP it reported problems with D: and started a scan (I've never had this happen before with XP). The scan hung, and after about 20 minutes I re-booted. XP came up without scanning anything, but now D: is garbage. The Volume Label, Directory names, and File names are gibberish, with non-alpha characters. A manual chkdsk in XP reports that D: is a "raw" disk and cannot be checked.

Fearing the worst, I booted ME and D: is just fine! Back to XP and D: is still garbage. So I did a scandisk on D: in ME and it found two cross-linked files and some lost clusters, which I fixed. But the problem didn't go away. ME can read D:, but XP can't.

Is there any way to fix this without re-formatting D:? Help!

·
Banned
968 Posts
The only thing I can think of would be to create a new FAT32 partition in XP, copy the files from D: to the new partition in ME, and then see if me can recognise the files.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.