Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When booting my computer this morning I got a blue screen with the following message on start up, I restarted twice and got the same error message, then sucessfully got into safe mode, ran scan disk (no errors) and rebooted, I then went straight into normal windows without a problem.

I have a p4b 2.4 ghz with a 80 gig 8mb cache western digital hdd and 512 meg ram, running windows XP.

I have now backed up all my important files so I can format if needed, however I am concerned this is a hardware issue with my hard drive,

Here is the blue screen error message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x000000ED (0x82351960,0xC0000185,0x00000000,0x00000000)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have installed no new hardware recently and no new software since my last reboot (ms project a week or so ago)

·
Registered
89 Posts
check to see if it is not trying to boot from a floppy or cd-rom. thats probably not it, but i saw that unmountable_boot_volume, it might be trying to "mount" or whatever onto a cd-rom. still looking for other possibilities..

wish i had your computer specs:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Run a manual chkdsk from a cmd window and see if there are any bad sectors in the summary. Modern IDE drives have spare sectors available in case some fail. By the time you see bad sectors with a chkdsk, all these spares are used up and your harddisk is close to failing. It's not a definate thing, but it does give an indication.

If this is all good, reseat your harddisk cables. They may be loose, or there may be some corrosion on the pins. Reseating them will clean the contacts and prevend problems caused by dirt.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
If this is a name brand computer.. Compaq, Hp, Dell, you can go to their site and download a patch. This problem usually occurs after XP sp1 is installed. The oem software needs the patch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.