Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this forum an hour ago and this is my first post so hello to all and a thanks in advance for your help. Hope I can in turn help someone else.
Running XP Pro on MSI MS-7032 motherboard, AMD Athlon 2800+ cpu. System was working fine until I decided to expand USB slots so with the system OFF, I plugged in "D Bracket" that came with motherboard, giving me 2 more usb slots. System hung on boot at bios screen, "del" for bios etc. Keyboard and mouse were both dead. Pushed reset button and now system goes past bios screen and boots into windows stopping at the login screen for my identity. The keyboard (PS 2) and mouse (USB)are both dead, neither lights up during boot to show recognition. System acts as if both are working fine and boots up windows. I can do nothing as I have no keyboard nor mouse function so the screen and I sit there looking at each other. I have swapped keyboard and mouse from my backup system and they all work fine on backup but neither works on my primary system. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated and thanks.
Lane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comeback. I have removed the bracket and problem still occurs. I have also tested the memory in my backup system and it runs fine. I installed an old harddrive with Win98 on it to see what would happen, nothing ! I cleared CMOS (not sure why but seemed like the thing to do at the time) and now I'm getting a "checksum bad" message and it won't go any further after checking memory and seeing harddrives and cd drives so I think maybe my motherboard has gone on to motherboard heaven.
I have tested and verified that the keyboard, mouse, memory and harddrive all work in my backup system. What else is there to check ???
I think tomorrow it's new mb time.
Lane

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Try removing the battery from your main-board, leave out for 30 minutes, then replace making sure the contacts are good. Remove your HD and see how far the boot gets. If you get a good response, put the HD back on and try "Last good Configuration" on the f8 key, then see if you can boot into safe-mode. If not, or if you still have no keyboard or mouse control, do a repair install using your windows disc - hopefully you have one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.