Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all…

I have another major problem and was hoping that someone would shed some light on this. I would have to say that I am an advanced 98SE user and XP is all new to me…

With this said, I messed up something huge….

I, like all other women, like pretty pictures on startup. I thought that changing the Windows XP boot screen would be as easy as it was in 98…

How wrong I was. Needless to say to all you XPers out there, I messed up the ntoskrnl.exe file. Yes, I did.

However, I did make a backup of it, but I didn’t back up boot.ini (what a sucker, I know). To be honest, I got ‘big headed’ and thought, “What could go wrong?”

So, I did some research and determined what the problem really is:
I replaced the ntoskrnl.exe file with the wrong release…
I believe now that I have Service Pack 1 (5.1.2600.116) and I replaced the file with a non-SP1 (5.1.2600.31) file.

So, I downloaded all 6 of the startup disks for XP (this is a feature that I think is not cool). I loaded and selected the recovery option. I was able to find my backup of the exe. However, I thought that I backed it up to c:\windows and it is really in:
C:\docume~1\Jaclyn\desktop\backup\

Now, I thought it would be a simple copy… it will not allow me access to this directory to do the copy. So, I downloaded another boot screen (this time with the correct release) and replaced the bad one with this… still a no go.

Then, I expanded the cab file in i386 where a copy of the original exe is located. I replaced the old with this one and tried to start again… still no go.

Basically, I have tried everything that I could think of to remedy this situation… is there something that I am missing? I keep reading posts about the recovery and repair tools… is this what I am already using? Please note that I cannot boot to Windows, Safe Mode, or any other means… I have even tried the old SE boot disk and scanreg/restore… it claims that there are not files to restore from. Do I need to try and modify the boot.ini? If so, how?

Finally, this is a brand new machine… so new, I can only tell you what I paid for it and that it is a Sony Vaio. With this said, I do not have a regular XP disk, only the system restore disks that came with the system. I know that this is a last resort, which I don’t mind… I have all personal stuff backed up already.

This is a challenge however and I don’t want to quit yet… I was just getting this machine to ‘where I liked it’.

That is my sad story. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello, I'm unclear if you can get to the command prompt on your XP install but if you can you may try:

From the command prompt typing: sfc /scannnow

This "may" detect the problem with the MS files you changed and offer to replace them with the original unmodified boot file(s) which would get your system back to your "pre mod" state.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.