Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WIN XP blue screen error 'stop 0x24' which I guess is a NTFS_File_System error.
I can not get past the blue screen to Windows in any safe mode. PC always goes back to blue screen no matter what I do.

I just rec'd 6 install CDs from Dell and but have them for 15 days, or I must pay for them [that doesn't seem right, but it is another story].

How can I fix this without losing all my hard drive data? Dell said run chkdsk /r, they didn't say how. I'm guessing I use the 'Operating System' disc to start-up the PC and then somehow type in chkdsk /r? Does a prompt just come up when booting from the CD?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Take the disk out of this computer, put it in an external case and attach it to a working computer via USB cable. Then run chkdsk on this drive on the working computer. You can also back up your data on that computer before reinstalling the OS on this hard drive if that is needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rbalaji.
Your suggestion seems to be the winner from everything I read. I didn't have a second PC with Win-XP; so I took a chance and used the XP system disk to run the recovery. It actually worked. As soon as it was done, I backed up the hard drive on an external, cleaned it up, defragged and re-booted. So far it's good.
I'm very glad it worked, but I am learning more about PC's than I ever wanted to.:normal:
Goatman

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You are welcome, and good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.