Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, recently my laptop has been having random rebooting problems and its now caused my profile on windows xp to go AWOL, the files and folders on my HD are all still on but my profile isnt there and its created a new one. when i first turn it on now it loads for longer than usual and then comes up with a message in a box headlined 'user environments'. this message pops up just before the welcome screen has passed and says:

'windows cannot load the locally stored profile...an i/o operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. the registry could not read in, write out, or flush one of the files that contains the systems image of the registry'

anyone know what's gone on? can i get my old profile back now? and does this give any clue as to whats causing the random shut downs ive been having for the past month [since i bought it second hand]

any help would be greatly appreciated thank you very much x

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, its not spyware. i havent got a clue what it is now! ive been using the laptop without the battery and just plugging the mains lead in but i decided in an effort to help the situation id put the battery in so if the lead is the problem the battery would be a back up i charged the battery up fully and now that doesnt work either! so its not the lead and its not the battery. what is it!?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
This and the rebooting problem are likely separate, so we should focus on the Windows problem. In addition to what dai suggested, try booting into safe mode and running:
Code:
sfc /scannow
If it asks for an XP CD, you can use a retail CD, or you can use this trick if you don't have one. And if you do have a retail XP CD, but you can't boot into safe mode, then do a repair install.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no. the rebooting is still very much apparent. somtimes it wont turn on for a few goes. e.g. when i press the on button on the laptop it wont come on for a few goes the lights [hdd, power LEDS] flash orange then itll finally come on and itll load till the welcome screen then go off again

; (

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive just noticed the fan at the back by the processor initally comes on when i turn the laptop on by then stops about 6 seconds afer and comes on and off. any way to keep it on all the time or is it supposed to do this?

thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also how do i update this : PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 bios.

i think this is the bios name, if not let me know and ill try to find out.

thanks! x

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
check the manufacturers site for a bios update,you only update the bios when it offers a specific update that you require
d/load and run the hard drive makers diognostic utility on the h/drive
if it comes up clear run
chkdsk /f /r

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
replace the fan at the back
clean any dust out
redo the paste
if you are not conversant with opening a laptop,i would get a service expert to do it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.