Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may give more info than needed but I would like to fix this problem.

Although I have been using a computer for many years I am not an expert. If you could reply in elementary terms please.

drives
A: floppy disc

C: 80 GB WD hard drive

D: 14 GB Dell OE hard drive which I believe is an IBM. I use this as my scratch disc with photo programs. I never could get all 14MB open. I think, in spite of using "System Commander" I never got rid of Windows 98SE which came with the Dell. This has not been a problem for me as the remaining space is ample for my needs.

E: Zip Drive (250MB)

F: CD burner

G: CD-DVD player

H: a card reader usually plugged into USB

the computer is custom built

Windows XP Pro

AMD 3000X CPU

1280MB 400DDR RAM

128MB dual monitor video card

5 channel audio card

numerous USB and Fire Wire ports

Until yesterday everything seemed to be running fine. Every now and then I have Windows check for errors on drive C. As always, it allows me to have this done the next time I boot up. However, unlike the past, I also set it to check drive D. I restarted the computer. After the usual info and the Windows XP intro screen I get a message telling me that Windows is finished checking drive C. No mention of drive D. And, there is sticks. The hard drive light blinked slowly and dimly so I left it on overnight (thinking perhaps it needed more time. Finally I reinstalled XP Pro on drive C. At least now I can get access to the internet to seek help. Of course the Windows I am using doesn't give me access to my programs, pictures, et.
I would like to have things as they were before. I am now using a dial-up connection as my usual browser (Opera) and cable connection don't work. Any advise? Thanks, Craig

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948), "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

·
Registered
29 Posts
since i have no clue what went wrong, can i suggest taking out that hdd and focusing on the main one? Also, if your cable and stuff arent working i think thats probably lack of drivers. Check for drivers on your cd (especially motherboard) and install them. That should help restore some functionality.

EDIT: Oh, and if you reinstalled windows, i wouldnt expect to get much of what you had back.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
have you reinstalled your isp's configuration
look in disk management and see what it has to say about drive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This must be the weirdest thing. I completely shut down my computer overnight. When I started it I was asked which OS I wanted to use. It listed Win XP Pro twice. I chose the one on the bottom (#2) and lo and behold my original XP Pro comes up, completely runs through the "check disc" and boots up just fine. Everything is as before. I restarted again and chose the top (#1) listed. It is the one I installed on top of what was already there. Now, can someone tell me how to do away with the OS I don't need? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.