Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going out of my mind. I am trying to run xp x64 OS but nothing is going smooth at all. When installing files I get "corrupt" errors, crc errors, checksum errors from the CD's (which work fine on other systems) or other downloaded files, I can't install anything. When I boot up I get a "registry hive (file): The system was able to recover ..." errors occasionally. Other times I get a brief blue screen and then a restart.

Here's the specs:
ASUS P5Q Pro mobo
Intel E8400 processor
8gb ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231152)
EVGA Geforce 8600 GTS (running off generic startup VGA drivers because I can't install anything)

I've left the mobo jumpers at default as well as all the bios settings. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this or how to fix it? I have noticed the system runs smoother when I have only one 2gb stick of ram.

Thanks

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts
If the system wrote memory dumps during the BSOD's they should be in c:\windows\minidump. Zip up all that are there and attach them to your next post. They may tell us something.

In the interim, run chkdsk /f on the HDD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Also:
What power supply do you have?

Run MemTest.
Create the bootable CD - boot the computer with the disc and run 4-5 cycles of the test with 1 RAM stick installed at a time.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Memtest did not yield any errors, if I can't get it figured out tonight I'll let it run all night. I have figured out that it seems to run stable at 6gb of ram, but as soon as I add the last ram module to up it to 8gb I get tons of errors, mostly corruption errors and the video display often comes up at 4 bit. I've switched the ram modules around so I know it's not any specific stick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I played with the latency functions of the RAM in the bios and had stability for about an hour before I started getting blue screens regularly. But the I wasn't seeing any more corrupt files.

Here are a few of the dumps from the crashes.

Attachments

·
34,389 Posts
Hi. . .

One itme that I found interesting in the zip file is the date on one particular dump:

Code:
[COLOR=red]01/01/2002[/COLOR]  21:40           163,840 Mini010102-01.dmp
08/13/2008  20:17           163,840 Mini081308-01.dmp
08/14/2008  11:56           163,840 Mini081408-01.dmp
08/14/2008  12:20           163,840 Mini081408-02.dmp
               4 File(s)        655,360 bytes
The actual timestamp found in the dump itself for the file in red was Thu Aug 14 15:21:34.343 2008 . I do not know why this discrepancy has occurred here. I have not seen anything like this before. There is no doubt that the date in the dump is correct as the dates on the loaded drivers are all post-2002.

None of the 4 dumps had the bugcheck 0xc0000218, which can simply be attributed to the registry (hive) error in which the system could not load; hence no minidump(s).

What I did find were the following bugchecks:

0x0000003b, {c0000005, fffffadf29074e4e, fffffadf2341e0c0, 0}, probable cause = memory corruption.
0x0000003b, {c0000005, fffff97fff0ba33a, fffffadf247e9910, 0}, probable cause = the Nvidia driver nv4_disp.dll, timestamp = Wed Mar 07 12:51:12 2007.

0x3b = System Service Exception, which has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

0x00000050, {fffffadf8d860030, 0, fffffadf8dc64378, 0} = invalid system memory has been referenced. the cause can be:
Code:
Cause
[B]1.[/B]Installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
[B]2.[/B]Installation of a faulty system service.
[B]3.[/B]Antivirus software 
[B]4.[/B]A corrupted NTFS volume
0x000000c2, {7, 121a, b000b, fffffadf378c5580} = the current thread is making a bad pool (memory) request.

Other potential hardware issues aside (mobo, etc...) and since you feel that 6gb RAM is running OK, I would take a good look at your hard drive, video and your system services (services.msc). Some causes of excessive paging can be a sign of HDD problems or that a driver is out of control. Given the 0xc218 error, I would look at the hard drive first. Run chkdsk as previously mentioned and look for diagnostics from the manufacturer of the hard drive. Good Luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton for the feedback. I have run chkdisk and didn't get any results. The computer is no longer in my position anymore, nor is it ever welcome back in my house. For future readers of this post with similar problems, we are swapping out the ram. The less ram we had in there the smoother it ran but the present owner is still complaining about occasional errors at 4GB. If you don't hear back from me again, then swapping out the ram fixed the problem. Thanks.

·
34,389 Posts
I took a 2nd look for that kb and found many opinions on what it was but not from Microsoft. I could be an update to .NET from 2007.

So... less RAM = smoother system in this case. Interesting.

Thanks for posting back with the update.

Regards. . .

JC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all,

I'm having a similar issue as the OP.

I'm running:
Asus P5Q pro
Intel E8400
Nvidia 8800GT Evga
trying to run 8GB 2x(2x2) G.Skill PC-8500
power supply is 750W

Now i've attempted to change the ram settings from 5-5-5-15 to 6-6-6-18 in an attempt to see if it was some sort of writing error due to speed but that did nothing at all.

I ran memtest86 for each stick individually, in pairs, in pairs in the secondary slots ( to make sure it wasnt the mobo slots), and all 4 at the same time. I get no errors until I try to run all 8GB, and the errors I get are always on test#5.

At first it would blue screen once in a while, but then it became more frequent (every 10 mins or so) until finally, the computer will not boot windows without causing a blue screen right after the bios.

I have also attempted to slow down the clock speed from 1066 to 1002 but that did nothing.

I have also turned off windows virtual memory because with 8GB it I figured i could get more speed without it.

I can't find any sort of minidump files and the blue screen flashes so fast that I can't see any sort of error code.

If anyone has any suggestions and such please please please say so, I want to get this working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The computer I built (the one with problems) was about 80% identical to the one you are running. We swapped out the ram for pc-6400 (the motherboard wouldn't sync to our ram speed exactly, can't remember what it was) and it ran smoother. Also make sure you find the intel drivers and install them first thing, that caused some errors. We also ran two memory modules of 4gb instead of 4 of 2gb to make sure the ram controller wasn't getting over leaded. The computer runs much smoother now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ill try turning down the clock speed.

As for the intel drivers, I've only installed the ones that came with the mobo, but I'll try to find different ones.

My only concern is the Mobo should be able to handle memory clock speeds up to 1200. So me running this at 1066 on 5-5-5-15 should be fine.

Also I can't find the driver you are mentioning. Could you link a site if possible?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the double post but I figured out the fix....

when running 4 sticks, the FSB voltage needs to be increased. Solved the problem, and the system is running stable. Thanks for the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.