Tech Support banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few days Xinity will no longer offer Norton anti virus with their internet service. Yesterday I de-installed Norton and started using Windows Defender. I know it's probably not as good as Norton (Windows 8.1) - but per other recommendations I downloaded the free version on Malwarebytes and will run that on demand. It's just not in the budget right now due to hardly working to purchasing a subscription is not an option.

Should that suffice for now? One 'Silver Lining' about removing Norton is I've noticed my hard drive isn't running constantly for minutes at a time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is still free? Didn't realize that. I have another laptop someone gave me and the company laptop are both Win 10, so I see how the overall system is better.

·
Moderator , Security Team
991 Posts
Since this topic is not a direct request for help with an infection, I have moved it from the Virus Trojan Spyware Help forum to somewhere more appropriate.

For information on Windows Defender, and choice of an AV in general, see my post .... Win10 antivirus

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello. I am an xfinity customer and have always used Norton through xfinity until now. Norton is giving 6 month free and then goes to $74.99 1st year then $149.99 thereafter. My question is Norton or any other antivirus really needed if you have Windows 10 installed? What are people doing these days? Using the Windows 10 antivirus or purchasing Norton or other service?

·
991 Posts
Yes, Microsoft's Defender is perfectly adequate protection for most people's use, and as oscer1 says, most of us would recommend it.

For a quick overview of Microsoft Defender's capabilities, please read the comments about it in this article by quietman7, a security expert at another forum (just scan through the comments on Avast, as they're not relevant to your situation) ... Should I replace Avast with Windows Defender? - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take a look at the article about Avast. I have in fact noticed a performance boost after removing Norton. It did it's job though - occasionally blocking various attacks while online.

·
991 Posts
Norton is a perfectly functional AV, but there are better (and certainly cheaper) options available, and ones that are much less resource hungry.

It's also notoriously difficult to remove entirely from your machine, and even the uninstaller you have used will tend to leave orphans behind which may, or may not cause problems when you try to install or utilise another AV product.

If that does happen, let us know, and we may be able to assist you in removing the problematic remnants (I say may, because I have known instances where this has not been possible).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have always used Norton but thinking of buying the software subscription. There are just so many out there. I heard someone say Bitdefender - Global Leader in Cybersecurity Software is good too. So my question is which one is the best and cheapest. I also have LastPass and I was recommended on here way way back and love it. But I am trying to get to multiple items with a single subscription. I have taken the 6 month Norton free subscription so have a bit time to decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts