Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i was wondering what type of video input i would need to attach a system, such as the xbox or playstation 2, to my computer. can i just use a regular tv tuner card? or what do i need

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Not sure what the x-box uses for output. But s-video may work, not sure. You will most likely need some type of tv tunner card with s-video and maybe composite connections?

Just out of couristy, why do you want to hook it up to your computer? Or do you just want to use it on your monitor?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey,

Yes that would work perfectly fine. All you basically need is a TV Tuner, that can receive input from other devices. It doesn't specifically have to be an S-Video Connection, but can also be an RCA Cable connection. The one you have specified in the link is simply an external tv-tuner, however you can also get internal tuners that connect directly to your mother board through the PCI Slots. That would be your cheaper priced card.

Just so you don't mix up, you can also buy a Video Card with TV-Out. But thats a completely different thing. A Video Cart with
TV-O is simply a card with either s-video or RCA that SEND INFORMATION OUT, and does not receive. Meaning you can connect your computer to a TV so that you can use it on the TV Screen. Ofcourse you can than do connections through other devices such as VCR's etc, which can allow you to record, etc.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Funny that you can have an Xbox but no TV. I would figure it should be the other way around ... they're so addictive and "time wasting".

·
hey
10,189 Posts
On a side note, there are monitors with the correct plugs for the playstation to be hooked directly into it. If the X-Box uses the same type, you can just get one of those monitors. But the TV card may be cheaper.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yup Danrak Is right,

There are monitors with built in tuners but those are even more expensive! (Think of it as a tuner and a regular monitor put together!)

But they look cool cuz most of them are Flat LCD's :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just to let everyone know, i found out how to do use your computer as a monitor for video game systems. all you need is a vga box. search on ebay or google and they are everywhere, just thought id let everyone know in case someone else is in the search for what i was looking for.

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Pseudocyber said:
Funny that you can have an Xbox but no TV. I would figure it should be the other way around ... they're so addictive and "time wasting".
There is nothing wrong with game consoles:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.