Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a noobish question but i wanna know if this switch and 4 of these ethernet cables will allow me to link 4 xboxes together, i just wanna make sure so i dont end up havin to buy more stuff and pay for delivery twice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could someone please answer? all it takes is a simple yes or no, i need this info soon as i am gonna buy the switch at the weekend.

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
They should work. As long as the cables are patch and not crossover cables (the site doesn't specify for those ones, so they're likely to be patch, but not definite) then it should work. As a general rule of thumb, anything which will work for a PC should work for an Xbox also (what with actually being a pc anyway for all intents and purposes).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help mate, is there any way i can tell? and what exactly is the difference between the 2?

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
The difference is the patch cable has wires which connect through like this:

||||

and the crossover has wires like this:

||X

(ie two of the wires actually cross over in terms of which pin they're connected to in the two ends.)

In general you can tell by looking at both ends at the same time. If the coloured wires are in the same order on both ends, you've got a patch cable.

From the picture on the website, there's no way of telling, but as they haven't actually said it's a crossover, it should be a patch (as these are the most common. Crossovers are only for either linking two routers together or directly linking two pc's/xbox's together without a router)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, but that means i am gonna have to buy another, i was gonna use the wire that got to link 2 xboxes together and as you have explained that wouldn't work, now i have pece of mind and i am gonna oder them in a few days, once again thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.