Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my son a games console for Christmas, he is 8. I would like him to play educational as well as entertaining games on it and was wondering which colsole was the best to buy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Faith

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would actually recommend gamecube because, they are more aimed at children like Mario and Pikmin but have some great mature games (Metroid prime and Resident evil [dont let the kid see that one]) and cheap too.

Out of Ps2 or Xbox i'd say Ps2 its easier to use the controllers and there are more younger games (eg. Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and clank, etc.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
issued_joe11 said:
I would actually recommend gamecube because, they are more aimed at children like Mario and Pikmin but have some great mature games
My vote goes to gamecube unless you're willing to spend the big bucks on xbox 360.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'd instead buy a family PC. Edutainment games are far and few between on consoles but on PCs there are innumerable. My parents did that for me and I am glad they did.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Yes

Agree with ebackhus, altough if your son is adament on buying a console, I advise the PS2, it has a educational games, although they are hard to find. It is simplistic and fun, unlike the Xbox. And it wont leave him asking for a PS2 if you had bought him the gamecube.

It is the best console for edutainment but your son won't see it that way when all his friends are rushing out to buy PS2 or Xbox new releases!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you want educational yet entertaining, then the computer is probably the best choice. If it has to be a console game, then I would choose the PS2, however, it is coming towards it's "end of life cycle" with the PS3 just around the corner (keep in mind that the PS3 will be able to play PS2 and PS1 games).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Same for the xbox, if you're going to get one don't buy one until the 360 comes out, or you're wasting money. But no console right now is educational whatsoever... at all... in any way... lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many Thanks Guys

Thanks for that guys. All interesting points, especially as you all seem to understand the 'cool' factor that even 8 yr olds have these days. just wish he'd settle for the PC, but consoles seem to be the thing. I guess my next question would be what games could you recommend for an 8 year old on a console?

Faith

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well, the games all have ESRB rating symbols placed on the game and box. *Real parents* notice these, and others just don't care what their kids play. I'm not sure what is "hip" to 8 year olds these days, but I think it is easier to tell what he shouldn't be playing.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
To be honest I haven't seen a genuinely educational games since the SNES. Everything I've seen since then was on the PC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.