Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered that my AGP slot was disabled, this was due to my chipset drivers being installed incorectly,i rectified this and bumped my AGP slot up to 8x and saw a nice preformance improvement in my games but after a few minutes of playing i noticed some Glitches on screen,Which got progresively worse as i played on (I think the technical word is Artifacts).so i shut down the computer and checked the card Which i thought was quite hot (Although im no expert on how hot modern graphics cards are supposed to run)The cards fan is still working though!!

I have never overclocked the card! and its only 2 months old.

Does any know why my card has decided to overheat?
Any help would be much appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
209 Posts
get Everest Home Edition and go to sensor, check the temp readings on the card...

im not sure what the x800 would be at, but usually those cards can take some serious heat.
6600gt can run smooth up to 70C or so.
as for artifacts, it could be some glichy parts, bad driver install... or overheating, so tell us the temp and we will see

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oldmn:How many fans and there location?
There is one fan on the case blowing air inwards

Compumaniac12:get Everest Home Edition and go to sensor, check the temp readings on the card...
The card idles at around 41-43 degrees and when i run a very graphically demanding game its around 51-54 degrees

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If it's reading those temperatures right then those are good values. To see if it's really overheating I would run the machine with the case open and rig a desk fan to blow lots of air at the video card. That will cool it down a lot. If your artifacts go away then you have a heating problem.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, it seems that it is overheating!
I rigged up two desk fans and brought the temp down around 9-10 degrees celcius and this got rid of all the artifacts on screen
IM just very anoyed that after spending $350 on a new card its overheating at 51 degrees celcius without even being overclocked!!

Thanks for all your help anyway

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just noticed something else!
When i turn on my computer the fan on the graphics card runs very fast and loud and then after a few seconds into the boot it slows an runs at what it usually does.
Is this normal or could it be that my small 350w power supply doesnt have enough juice to power the rest of my computer and the cards fan at full capacity?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Your fan behaviour is normal. That video card adjusts the fan speed depending on what the card is doing. It's slower in 2D mode and then speeds up for 3D mode. I checked a couple of reviews and they both said that the fan runs fastest just after you turn the computer on and once the card initializes, the fan slows down. Your power supply isn't causing it.

You should check that the heatsink on the video card isn't loose. Sometimes they're not manufactured properly. Sometimes they also don't put on enough heatsink grease but that's a real pain to check because you have to remove the heatsink. And if it's measuring your GPU temperature correctly then it's not that hot anyway.

If you've only got one case fan blowing in and the power supply sucking air out then the real problem may be insufficient airflow in your case. If the air temperature in your case starts rising more than a few degrees once the video card kicks into 3D mode then you need more airflow. You may be able to solve your problem with one of these. You can put one in the slot next to the video card and suck air past the video card and blow it out the back of the computer. www.newegg.com doesn't ship to Ireland but you should be able to find something like this locally. There are also ones like this. You could also try adding a case fan or two sucking air out the back of the case and blowing air in. An X800XL is a fairly powerful card so it does need good airflow.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions :smile:
The card seems to be getting worse its started displaying artifacts on the desktop now!!(I didn't think that was possible) :cry:
Im going to try to get the card replaced though because theres definitely something wrong with it!

Thanks again :smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
I think I have a similar situation. I bought an X800XL card a few months back. Initially all was fine on 3d games, for a couple of weeks at least.
Then I started getting the monitor turning to power save. The game ran in the background but no key presses seemed to do anything and I needed to hard power at the mains.

I tried a number of things but only solved it when I upped the drivers to 5.10.

However I now seem to be getting the same thing again. Looking at ati tools I can see the GPU temp creeping up (unstoppably!), it gets to about 55-60 degrees abd hen drops to power save.
However it only does this when the 3D display is on, without the 3D display everything is fine.

I want to sell this card on as I'm no longer gaming but obviously cannot until I sort this issue out.

Has anyone else had similar? Do the 5.11 drivers solve the issue? Would a BIOS flash be a good idea?

I'm going to have a look at lappng the cooler to see if theres an issue with contact as the GPU gets pretty hot.

However if anyone else has experience it'd be much appreciated.

As a cautionary note, I bought this card as a 'b grade' from Overclocker.co.uk.

The deal with their b grades is a 14 day warranty and thats your lot. Didn't want to know afterwards, they sent me to the manufacturers Connect3d. Their Propellerhead support has gone downhill form when I first used them a few years back.
No calls back (and then when you call them they quote you the premium line rate!) and they just don't want to know either.

Last time I buy b grade...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.