Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer has 2gb's of ram installed and my BIOS recognizes that I do as claimed and so does my System Information but right clicking on "My Computer" and Properties displays 256mb. Any one know a solution or what the problem is or if it will in fact affect my performance? I just formated to XP Pro from Media Center Edition which came with my laptop and had to change a BIOS setting for "enable native SATA support" for it to recognize my HD in order to format with XP Pro CD.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and under the Performance tab, see what it lists under Commit Charge (K)>Limit.

You can also check in Start>Help and Support>Whats new in Windows XP>Tools (bottom left)>My Computer Information. (General Information)

Another way is Start>Run>type: msinfo32 and Enter.

Se what it losts their as the total amount of RAM picked up. :smile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the information reads to be 2gb's as stated in all those except the performance on Task Manager where the Total is 272748 and alternating, limit is 630904, and peak is 318728.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Well the information reads to be 2gb's as stated in all those except the performance on Task Manager where the Total is 272748 and alternating, limit is 630904, and peak is 318728.
If the MSInfo and Help and Support tools give you the correct readings, then your 2GB should be picked up just right as they are more accurate than Task manager or System Properties. :wink:

Is it high density RAM by any chance or do you have it's make and part number?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed it but voided warrenty. I formated all drives including the unnamed partition. It appears the sytem would not allow boot.ini to go to the C:drive and only to the unnamed partition that HP installed onto the computer therfore they(HP) limited(i had no control) the amount of RAM my computer would utilize. So I formated all drives since i hope on buying a new system in about 3 months(Lawl if I get $) and the warrenty lasts just as long as that does. I have XP Pro working now and 2gb ram. HP must have done this in hopes of keeping those who purchased a OS through them to keep nothing but it on there since it kept moving the Boot.ini to its own drive. I even tried a windows repair consol to add one but it would not be written to the c: drive upon boot-up.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Fixed it but voided warrenty. I formated all drives including the unnamed partition. It appears the sytem would not allow boot.ini to go to the C:drive and only to the unnamed partition that HP installed onto the computer therfore they(HP) limited(i had no control) the amount of RAM my computer would utilize. So I formated all drives since i hope on buying a new system in about 3 months
I can't pinpoint what did it for you, but I can tell you that the Boot.ini has nothing to do with the amount of RAM your OS picks up, nor does it control it and it is always in the root of the drive it's booting - or Windows XP won't bootup at all.

It might possibly have been the HP OEM OS being corrupted/limited to letting you know the true value fully, but like I said before, you still had 2GB installed and picked up by the OS as the more accurate Windows utilities picked it up, so it's no real difference either way. Glad you found a complete resolution though and thanks for posing it. :grin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can't pinpoint what did it for you, but I can tell you that the Boot.ini has nothing to do with the amount of RAM your OS picks up, nor does it control it and it is always in the root of the drive it's booting - or Windows XP won't bootup at all.

It might possibly have been the HP OEM OS being corrupted/limited to letting you know the true value fully, but like I said before, you still had 2GB installed and picked up by the OS as the more accurate Windows utilities picked it up, so it's no real difference either way. Glad you found a complete resolution though and thanks for posing it. :grin:
First off HP was utilizing part of a unmarked partition that allowed itself to run and was still in control and told the pc that boot.ini was in D: recovery instead so yeah your pretty much wrong about that.
As well boot.ini allows for memory usage that the system can utilize. Notice the MAXMEM= in advanced. SO if the boot.ini was not in C drive you would not see it in msconfig nor could you edit the properties of boot.ini. K Thnx Bye.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Oblivix

That last reply was kinda rude toward someone who was trying to help you gratuitously and who was saying thx for sharing your solution.

It's your life but I would really appreciate it if you could reply with something like "sorry, i reread my post and found it a bit harsh. I meant no offense. Thx for your help". Kalim knows a lot (at least he knows more than me) and does his best, don't be fooled by him not being a tech and stating he's only a beginner.

Now had you actually tried running msconfig to check that there was no boot.ini tab before you formated your drives ? Was it bootcfg /rebuild that you tried in the recovery console ? Cause there should have been a boot.ini file in both your system and recovery partitions.

What I know is that formating your MCE installation and reinstalling XP pro is the thing that corrupted your boot.ini file in the first time.

Regards,
justpassingby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason you may see it to appear harsh is because its obviously correcting someone who has more posts and some people who are helpful just need some more information and thats what it was. So lets stop the accusations please and just keep it to information
Yes I tried running msconfig and there was no boot.ini so I check the drive for hidden system files and there was no boot.ini as stated. I have people at my work to confirm this but there is little i can do now that I formated the drive except take a look at an HP computer sometime that contains a recovery drive. The boot.ini was then found when I typed in d: into the address bar so I boot up into recovery console(as stated in my previous post) and noticed the C: according to the console was a miniNT so we put the boot into the d which was the local c: on boot-up. I then booted up but saw no file or change in my system information so I booted into recovery console again and loaded it to a C: through the D drive since there was an administrator password which was not my own. I then booted and saw no file but a newly created file(date and time) in the booted D: drive. So I then realized that HP was monitoring that drive under an unmarked partition(unmarked according to administrative tools). And the only corruption was done by HP's unmarked partition that moved would move the files because once you install boot.ini through formating it goes to the lowest drive and the c: drive was marked by HP apparantly upon bootup until the XP has been loaded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My computer has 2gb's of ram installed and my BIOS recognizes that I do as claimed and so does my System Information but right clicking on "My Computer" and Properties displays 256mb. Any one know a solution or what the problem is or if it will in fact affect my performance? I just formated to XP Pro from Media Center Edition which came with my laptop and had to change a BIOS setting for "enable native SATA support" for it to recognize my HD in order to format with XP Pro CD.
I was having the same problem, my computer was only showing 248MB after I did a fresh Windows install. The BIOS displayed the full amount. Removing/adding RAM did not make the computer give me the message about the amount of memory had changed at startup. I tried all the would-be solutions on this thread and other forums with no luck. What worked for me was removing the small round battery on the motherboard for a few hours and when I put it back on and started my computer, I right-clicked on my computer and all my RAM was being read correctly. Not sure how this solution would work on a laptop but for the record, this was on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.