Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been repeatedly trying to install the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition on my new system with no success. I contacted Intel, and they said it supports the 82801ER I/O controller hub (ICH5R) only, which I knew already from reading the documentation. However, on my system it lists the 82801EB I/O controller hub (ICH5).

I'm supposed to have an ICH5R hub on this motherboard, not the old ICH5. Did Asus goof and put the wrong chip on here? If no RAID is configured, will the system detect the ICHR5 as an ICH5?

This is driving me nuts...

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
on my system it lists the 82801EB I/O controller hub (ICH5). I'm supposed to have an ICH5R hub on this motherboard, not the old ICH5. Did Asus goof and put the wrong chip on here?
It will indeed report "82801EB" against an -ER chip, it appears these strings are being taken straight out of the various .INF files for the chipset. But forget what it reports; to verify what you've got, look at the actual chip.

It's a big square chip just behind PCI slits 2 and 3. The top line should read, "FW82801ER".

Also between PCI slots 2 & 3 the mobo model number should be silkscreened, "P4C800-E".

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read all of the chips as I put the system together last week, and it does indeed say FW82801ER and P4C800-E. I just double checked, and the numbers and letter haven't magically changed.

So Windows is simply thinking the ER chip is an EB chip? EB shows up in your device manager as well as on mine? Does anyone have a P4C800-E system which reports it an the ER?

I might have to go into the registry and change it to list it as the ER.
:winkgrin:

·
Registered
207 Posts
My system is showing up as "82801EB" as well. Unless this affects my system in some way, I'm going to leave it set the way it is.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that the "ER" only shows up when RAID is enabled and configured on the Intel SATA ports, and that "EB" shows up when no RAID is enabled and configured on the Intel SATA ports. The Intel INF Utility detects the chip as if it was the "EB" since it's not configured for RAID in the BIOS.

I've already formatted and set up one of my SATA drives on the Intel port, so I'm not going to go back and try to set it up as RAID since it would likely erase all of the data on my drive. I have enabled RAID on the Intel SATA just to see what happens, and the hard drives lock up after post and before the XP logo. Leave things alone is my suggestion in this case.

Intel has spoken with me about the IAA and IAAR, and they said that neither version supports the "EB" yet . Perhaps this means they could be developing a non-RAID IAA for the newer generation chipsets. IAAR will only install if it detects the "ER," which would mean that RAID would need to be configured already. (Guess that's why it's called the IAA "RAID Edition.")

The old non-RAID IAA works on the older chipsets, but it won't allow you to install it on the newer P4 chipsets. If you've got an old Pentium 1, 2, 3, or Celeron; go ahead and use the non-RAID IAA to improve performance. It runs great on my backup P3 700MHz system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.