Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I ordered a battery for a computer and it arrived and what it does is that whenever I have it in without the power supply, it seems like the computer doesn't pull enough electricity because basically the computer is really slow with the battery in. Then the computer starts crashing.
This slowing down and crashing only happens with the battery is in. And I do have it at it's charge. Anyway can someone please just let me know if I ordered the correct battery? Thanks

Specs
Hewlett*Packard*HP*Pavilion*dv6*Notebook*PC*Rev*1
System*Serial*Number:*CNF9436XB7
Enclosure*Type:*Notebook

Battery Purchased:
HP 484170-001 Battery pack (Primary) - 6-cell lithium-ion (Li-Ion), 2.2Ah, 47Wh (1)

·
Visiting Tech
1,482 Posts
it seems like the computer doesn't pull enough electricity because basically the computer is really slow with the battery in.
We don't know all the specs here, including the voltage of the original or replacement battery, but according to your manual here, the batteries supported are,

9-cell, 100-Whr, 3.00-Ah Li-ion battery 636631-001
6-cell, 62-Whr, 2.80-Ah Li-ion battery 593562-001
6-cell, 55-Whr, 2.55-Ah Li-ion battery 593554-001​

Yours rated at 2.2Ah could suggest the voltage of your replacement battery is too low, forcing your notebook to switch into battery conservation mode almost immediately. It also suggests you could be straining your current charger and more importantly, the charging/regulation circuits in your notebook as they try to compensate for voltage.

I would return that replacement battery immediately then buy a replacement from HP. I don't normally recommend buying replacement parts from the original makers - EXCEPT for batteries. This is because the counterfeit battery market is rampant and the biggest problem is there is safety with Li-Ion batteries. They are extreme fire (and even explosion) hazards. Remember the recent problems with hoverboard fires? It was all because of poorly made Li-Ion batteries. There are many horror stories for counterfeit notebook batteries too. :(

So I recommend you buy your replacement battery directly from HP, not Amazon, eBay or anywhere else - despite any claim (or label) of it being genuine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9-cell, 100-Whr, 3.00-Ah Li-ion battery 636631-001
6-cell, 62-Whr, 2.80-Ah Li-ion battery 593562-001
6-cell, 55-Whr, 2.55-Ah Li-ion battery 593554-001​

Yours rated at 2.2Ah could suggest the voltage of your replacement battery is too low, forcing your notebook to switch into battery conservation mode almost immediately. It also suggests you could be straining your current charger and more importantly, the charging/regulation circuits in your notebook as they try to compensate for voltage.
Ok I understand. I did this for a friend because he always had his AC adapter plugged in and so the battery was fried. OK the computer is kind of a piece of crap, but it runs really well without any battery.
Thanks and thanks in advance for any additional imput

·
Visiting Tech
1,482 Posts
I did this for a friend because he always had his AC adapter plugged in and so the battery was fried
There's a lot of controversy over that too - with no conclusive proof at all that leaving the charger plugged in will damage or shorten the life of the battery.

I bought my Toshiba notebook in Feb 2010 and it stays plugged in all the time and the battery still works just fine. Maybe once every couple months I unplug it and let it run down, but that's it.

Notebook charging circuits are designed to prevent over-charging the batteries as that could create a fire hazard. Even the batteries themselves (at least the genuine, non-counterfeit batteries) are designed with protective devices to prevent over-heating. So leaving them plugged in will not cause a battery to "fry".

And Lithium Ion batteries don't suffer from memory effect anywhere near the extent old style Ni-Cad batteries do. Now all batteries do weaken over time resulting in shorter run times. And of course, some can just fail prematurely due to a defect or some other electrical or physical abuse.

My 17" Toshiba used to run for 2 hours on a full charge, now it is about 90 minutes. But that decline is typical for a nearly 6 1/2 year old battery.

Most notebook userguides do say to not leave chargers plugged in all the time. But as an electronics technician for 45 years, I truly believe that's the company's lawyers talking. You look at the manual for just about any electronics device, it will tell you to unplug it when not in use.

For example, I just bought a new Cuisinart coffee maker. Look at the manual here and note right off the bat on page 2 (the cover is page 1) in big bold letters the first two "IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS".
1. READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
2. Always unplug from outlet when not in use...​
11. Always fill water reservoir first, then plug cord into the wall outlet.​

Note this is a programmable coffee maker with a built-in clock that lets me prepare the coffee before bed, then it automatically switches on so I can have my hot coffee when I wake up. Do they really expect users to unplug the coffee maker after drinking the coffee each morning, then before bed, fill the reservoir, plug it in again, re-reset the clock, then reprogram the brew time? No.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.