Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Emachine running XP. I purchased a 16G thumb drive (PNY) to do backups thinking it would be faster and less clumsy than burning CDs. To my chagrin, the thumb drive is much slower than burning a CD. Is this normal?

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
What is the Model # or your Emachine? If your Emachine is 10 years old, it may only have USB 1.1 ports instead of 2.0. Where are you plugging this Flash Drive into? You may find that the Back USB Port on the computer instead of the Front is faster.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the Model # or your Emachine? If your Emachine is 10 years old, it may only have USB 1.1 ports instead of 2.0. Where are you plugging this Flash Drive into? You may find that the Back USB Port on the computer instead of the Front is faster.
It's an EL1200-05w. I bought it in 2008. I'll check the back of it after I shut it off. Don't like moving machine with disk running.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it says nothing.

There are at least 3 ports in the back of the machine. One has an Iomega drive plugged into it. I plugged the thumb drive into the slot right next to it which again proved slow copying 385 MB, taking many minutes. Burning a CD is much much faster.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
slow copying 385 MB
How long does it take to copy 385 MB?
Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt type the drive letter of the device (ex) G: and press enter. (ex) G:\> now type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a for Y for Yes to unmount the drive. Check Disk will check the drive. Try this drive on another computer. It may be a faulty drive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The chkdsk does not seem to work. It says:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system is restartes?(y/n)

I said yes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I rebooted the machine and nothing happened. Wonder if it is referring to the Wifi in the next port? I'll try unplugging it and redoing the test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.