Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive beent hinking of trying Linux again - i tried it about 4 years ago and gave up as it was too technical but now i have managed to get my windows xp into a muddle and i am wondering whether it might be a solution...

Windows xp went down and i tried to repair it and kept reinstalling
it is now loaded on a c/windows and another copy on c/windows2 which i am in and using
there are three windows installations at the black screen before we start though only two work

i am now up and running but all the software is there eg winword but when i find it through a search and double click on it it comes up with "micorsoft excel has not been installed for the current user please run setup to install the application
ive got my office disks but cant find the code number for them so i am stumped
what i want to do is jump into my old files from the new windows
i dont want to have to reformat

as an alternative solution to trying to sort out all this :

If i installed linux ubuntu linux 5.10 would i be able to
1. Have a reliable operating system
2. rescue all my documents and all the emails stuck in outlook
3. replace my word/excel programs with an equivalent that i would be happy with as a long term user of these
4. use mozilla firefox

in other words sort out my muddle and be up and running
ive got on line by going to a friend and networking through him onto the internet
help!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can do all of that with no problems. I personally reccomend Knoppix or Suse, but Ubuntu is a great distro too.
Make sure you partition it so that you keep windows on, at least at first, so it doesn't delete your files that you need to rescue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do i install linux? how will it affect my network?

thanks for helping
i now have one copy of windows but still cannot find my exe files

if i go down this Linux route then presumably

I need to setup Linux
1.do I identify the free space on my hard disk (9 gig- presumably enough)
download from Ubuntu and install
2.then find a download for an office lookalike?
where? how?
3.hopefully run everything and then delete the c:/windows folder
then i alsoI have two other family machines on an ethernet hub home network
one running win 98 and one running win xp
so 4.
would i then be able to run them as they are (as windows) into this machine as the internet connecting machine?
or should i or must I install linux on both of them?
5.how? if the network is not working? because i have just installed Linux?

thansk for the advice

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ubuntu install will find your hard drive and make it easy to partition the 9 gigs(plenty) as Linux.
Ubuntu I believe comes with OpenOffice.Org, which I believe is better than MS office (which it is compatible with). If it doesn't come with Oo_O you can find it online easily.
As for the network, you shouldn't have any problems hooking your linux machine up to your ethernet hub, and you won't have to install linux on any other machines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.